3/4" Scale Boxcar Drawings/Plans

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

FKreider

3/4" Scale Boxcar Drawings/Plans

Post by FKreider »

Hello All,

I did a little searching around and had mixed results so I am creating a new post for this topic.

I am looking for Boxcar drawings/plans to be built at 3/4" scale/3.5" gauge. Specifically I was wondering if there were any drawings that were already scaled down from full size blueprints. That being said; I am not opposed to scaling down from original drawings if that is the only option. I am looking for wood boxcar designs as pictured below.

Also- maybe someone educate me as to what time frame this style car was manufactured?

Examples:
Attachments
16700.jpg
Box_car_DSSA_18052.jpg
-Frank K.
steamingon

Re: 3/4" Scale Boxcar Drawings/Plans

Post by steamingon »

Hello,
Prototype plans are available on Google Books search 1906 Car Builders Cyclopedia...……..
https://books.google.com/books?id=w8pAA ... cQ6AEIKDAA
Doug_Edwards

Post by Doug_Edwards »

Hi Frank,

The WP car in the first image was built between 1910 and 1918. I can say that because the WP was a late RR, and started operations in 1910, and the USRA designs were out by 1918, and this would have been a single sheath car with outside bracing then.

If you look closer however, I think you can see a build date on the frame of 7-17.

The South shore car is of the same era, but has been rebuilt with steel ends. Note that it has the steel "fishbelly" underframe like the WP car.

Where are the cars in the second photo located? The second box car has Fox patent trucks under it.

Regards,

Doug
http://www.precisionlocomotivecastings.com/
Building a 70 ton Willamette in 1.6"
Building a 80 ton Climax in 1.6"

"Aim to improve!"
"Mine is not to question why, mine is just to tool and die"
BAdams

Post by BAdams »

A little more info on the car's builder:
https://www.wplives.org/sn/boxcar.html

Brook
FKreider

Post by FKreider »

Doug_Edwards wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:11 am Where are the cars in the second photo located? The second box car has Fox patent trucks under it.

Regards,

Doug
Hi Doug,

Thanks for the response, not sure about the second picture, I just pulled the pic's off google images as examples of the style that I am interested in emulating.
-Frank K.
Sandiapaul

Post by Sandiapaul »

Outside or prototype drawings the best you will likely find are those that appeared in Mainline Modeler magazine. Many are in O scale and include multiple views and sections. Trains magazine has an index so you can search for specific cars, ie USRA single sheathed, USRA double sheathed, Fowler, etc...
https://www.google.com/search?client=fi ... NqWsnKXr48
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
If you are going to be building freight cars from the wooden car era a great source of information is John H White Jr's book, The American Railroad Freight Car. This is a large format book about an inch and a half thick. It covers just about everything from top to bottom, coupler to coupler. Lots of photos, engravings and drawings. Many cars have multiple drawings. I don't know if it's still in print but I'm sure you can find a copy.
Jack
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

+1 for what Jbodenmann said. If memory serves, there may actually be two volumes of this book. I’ve read my copies many times over the years, searching for detail that doesn’t show elsewhere. Its’s a little light in construction drawings for each of the different cars. But very detailed concerning individual components, and the various changes made by different manufacturers, over the years. It’s a reference well worth having.
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....