Balanced slide valves?

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Greg_Lewis

Balanced slide valves?

Post by Greg_Lewis »

Somewhere in what's left of my memory is a recollection of an article or post that included a sketch of balanced slide valves. I think it may have been in Live Steam but a search of their online index came up empty. A search here reveals that there was such an article but does not give the issue. The idea was for models, not the prototype. The image I'm remembering was a side cutaway that showed how the idea would work. Do any of you have a source for that? THANKS!
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
BAdams

Re: Balanced slide valves?

Post by BAdams »

Greg,
Were you thinking of the Balanced Slide valve article in the July 1984 issue of Live Steam by Charles Lore?
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

Is this it?
The article in question is covered by copyright and should not be posted on this board.
H
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

That's it. THANKS guys.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
James Powell

Post by James Powell »

In full size, you might want to see if you can find info on "Church's" patent slide valves, which were one type used on traction engines. I'm wildly going out on a limb, and going to suggest that a piston valve is a far better option...

I know that Suction Hose (Ross) on Traction Talk has done quite a bit of work on examining how they would work in model form, and came to the conclusion that it wasn't worth making them, he chose to use regular slide valves instead on his 3" model traction engines.

James
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

Thanks, James. I wasn't planning on building such valves. I was chatting with Ed Wishart who has balanced valves on his engine and I just wanted to see how it might be done.
Greg Lewis, Prop.