Safety Valves

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Tank Creek

Safety Valves

Post by Tank Creek »

Hey group, I've got one safety valve that doesn't quite re-seat on my 2.5" scale 2-6-0. I can't find a way to dis-assemble them. I can remove the hex nut at the top which secures the Allen set screw which runs down into the valve and presses on top of the spring. Under the spring is a stainless ball that sits on the seat. I can't find a way to get this puppy apart so that I can clear the seat. I've tried soaking in CLR, etc.

The valves have no maker's name.

I'm attaching a photo of the valves to see if you recognize them. This is my first time trying to post a photo to the group, so I hope it works.

Thanks, Dick Patton
Attachments
Safety Valves.jpg
Rwilliams

Re: Safety Valves

Post by Rwilliams »

Those safety valves look like the ones RRSC used sell when they were located in Burbank CA. Their reputation for operation was not the best based on my observations. They sounded like a buzzing bee when venting steam. Never did actually hear them make a sudden pop release. Just the slow buzzing sound during operation until they would reseat most of the time. Often with age, they would continue to do a very slow buzzing release of steam which more than one person found to be a distraction. Rather than fight them, many have sold them and moved on to a more reliable product. Considering the possible age of your valves, that might be for the best.
hoppercar

Post by hoppercar »

If your considering replacements, I recommend the ones from trainman...they are very reliable, and pop and reseat, with a sharp snap...you will be happy with them
Ken Rhodes

Post by Ken Rhodes »

They unscrew just above the hex
The Future Will Be Better,Tomorrow
uncle jerd

Post by uncle jerd »

Dave Scalavi makes great pop valves. Great operation and reasonably priced.
Highiron

Post by Highiron »

I made those valves for railroad Supply probably 20 years ago put a wrench at the hex bass and wrap a soft cloth around the center of the body and grab it with a pair of channel locks and unscrew it they were never designed as an absolute pop valve just a pressure relief yes they can be annoying but they're a cheap alternative to those that can't afford or couldn't afford regular safety valves like Barry made or Dave makes

They're almost exactly the same to the ones that I make today