Uh... help me verify?

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

doublereefed

Uh... help me verify?

Post by doublereefed »

Greetings,

Does anyone out there live within a short drive of Williamsport, PA? I successfully bid on Maxitrak loco from a seller there. His profile and activity checked out fine. I will be near there on business in 6 weeks so pickup made sense.

However, communication just got strange and “Nigerian”. I’m covered under PayPal buyer protection, but would be nice not to wait six weeks.

Ah, eBay. Pretty fun actually, but quite the minefield sometimes.

Thanks!

-Richard
Slipped Eccentric

Re: Uh... help me verify?

Post by Slipped Eccentric »

I'm a little over an hour away if no on closer can go.
doublereefed

Post by doublereefed »

Thank you for the reply Slipped Eccentric. I sent you a PM.
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

doublereefed wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:09 pm Greetings,

Does anyone out there live within a short drive of Williamsport, PA? I successfully bid on Maxitrak loco from a seller there. His profile and activity checked out fine. I will be near there on business in 6 weeks so pickup made sense.

However, communication just got strange and “Nigerian”. I’m covered under PayPal buyer protection, but would be nice not to wait six weeks.

Ah, eBay. Pretty fun actually, but quite the minefield sometimes.

Thanks!

-Richard
Let us know how it turns out—good or otherwise.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
doublereefed

Post by doublereefed »

An update:

I, like many of you, have bought and sold successfully on eBay over the many years. I have had a few run-ins with scams but never lost money. This situation with the Maxitrak locomotive auction has worked out fine, the offer/listing was legitimate and the transaction has been successful. I'll share some detail here though, because I have never seen or heard of the way a scammer/criminal inserted themselves into the process:

Basically the scammers hacked the legitimate seller's account, waited for a high dollar transaction and then stepped in with private messages to try to get me to pay in bitcoin in exchange for a lower priced and a refund. It instantly smacked of fraud. The format, grammar, punctuation of the fraudulent private messages had many errors, compared to the normal language of the legitimate seller's messages. However, I was able to get ahold of the legitimate seller, eBay has taken over and is working out details on several people who got ripped off. In those cases, the scammers listed items for sale under the legitimate account, but then tried to get the buyers to engage in swapping out the transaction for bitcoin.

Like I said, I have never seen or heard of this particular eBay relates scam, thus I document it here in case it is of interest to any of you.

Also, several folks reached out to help me on my initial request... many thanks to you!'

Best,

- Richard

P.S. The seller has this item, neither of us know what this is. Do any of you?
Attachments
pressurevesselJPG.jpg
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Looks like a hydraulic ram water pump?
~RN
doublereefed

Post by doublereefed »

How does it work? Looks like an air connection on the globe, is the bent brass tab a way to depress the brass plunger? What is that brass plunger?
doublereefed

Post by doublereefed »

Ah. Strange video, but I get it. Interesting!

https://youtu.be/aUTjVovpKvA
rudd

Post by rudd »

Long ago, the City of Augusta Georgia used one of those with the Savannah River as the power source - they built a canal around the falls and used that drop. This pumped drinking water up from the river to the treatment plant. The docent that was telling us about it said the thing that people remember most about it is that it was LOUD.