Locomotive Steam Chest Question

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Grant J

Locomotive Steam Chest Question

Post by Grant J »

Attached is a clip from H.J. Coventry's B & O 4-4-0 drawing prepared in 1957. The drawing depicts the steam chest, indicating one hole centred on one side that is to be counterbored. Can anyone tell me what the purpose of this hole is. I have checked with a couple of guys and no one has been able to tell me
Attachments
B & O Steam Chest.JPG
B & O Steam Chest.JPG (33.43 KiB) Viewed 5295 times
FLtenwheeler

Re: Locomotive Steam Chest Question

Post by FLtenwheeler »

That is to keep the steam chest attached to the cylinder when the cover is removed. Helps out when you are timing the locomotive.

Tim
He who dies with the most unfinished projects: Should of put more time into their hobby.
hoppercar

Post by hoppercar »

That is to help in timing the engine, when you have the cover off, keeps the steam chest bolted in place
Builder01

Post by Builder01 »

I would agree with Tim. This is for a screw to hold the chest to the cylinder while adjusting valve events. You can also leave the studs in the cylinder with spacers under the nuts to hold the chest to the cylinders while adjusting valve events. Depending on how tight your packing is on the valve spindle, you may actually want another of these counter bored holes on the other side to keep the chest straight. As the valve spindle moves through the packing, it will tend to pull on the chest and turn it sideways (unless you have the single screw in the counter bore really tight).

David
Kimball McGinley

Post by Kimball McGinley »

Seems like a bit of a bother; studs or running in a couple shorter screws would do as well or be better, it seems?
Ken Schroeder

Post by Ken Schroeder »

I have put two recessed bolts on the steam chest on all the locomotives I have built. It will save the lower gasket from being ruined or torn if the steam chest moves while adjusting the valves.

Ken
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

I just leave one bolt in the chest cover and swing the cover out of the way.
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
Kimball McGinley

Post by Kimball McGinley »

Good tip Ken!
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

i do it with a plastic cover held in place with the same studs that hold the metal chest cover in place. This way you can see to adjust AND RUN with 'eyes on the subject'...
Too many things going on to bother listing them.