What Engine Is This

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

SZuiderveen

Re: What Engine Is This

Post by SZuiderveen »

They also don’t drip down you neck while shooting rods. Also, no stress on the pressure vessel by having the bracket riveted directly to boiler. Also cleaner air to air filter.

Steve
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

longer trains= more air required for brakes, which means bigger pumps to keep the air pressure up. I just figured the pumps were getting large enough that they wouldn't fit in/around/under the running boards any more, and thus they moved them up front. Also, putting them on the smokebox front of an articulated would have simplified the piping, as it could be hard-piped since it wouldn't have to swivel with the front engine when going through curves.
Kimball McGinley

Post by Kimball McGinley »

Maybe if they were dropped down onto the pilot, the length increase was a problem?
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Fender brings up good point. I think the reason for mounting them on the smoke box versus the pilot is that this is an articulated engine. The pilot wiggles all over the place. To run steam and air lines to the pumps from the boiler and to the pilot would involve a lot of flexible piping.
Jack
KenG

Post by KenG »

2584.JPG
Seems like the Great Northern mounted air pumps at the front of many of its locomotives. Here is S2 number 2584 in Havre Montana.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Articulated locomotives with air pumps on the smokebox front did not require flexible steam and air line due to a moving front engine.
~RN
dwilloughby

Post by dwilloughby »

Off subject, but a nice Christmas Card from Leanin' Tree, by Howard Fogg?
Fender

Post by Fender »

JBodenmann wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:37 pm Hello My Friends
Fender brings up good point. I think the reason for mounting them on the smoke box versus the pilot is that this is an articulated engine. The pilot wiggles all over the place. To run steam and air lines to the pumps from the boiler and to the pilot would involve a lot of flexible piping.
Jack
Actually, that was Pontiacguy’s point, not mine. But I agree, the piping is much simpler on articulated locos, if the pumps are on the smokebox. I hadn’t thought of that.
Dan Watson
Chattanooga, TN
Mike Walsh

Post by Mike Walsh »

It's entirely plausible that the air pumps were on the smokebox due to clearance issues... Tunnels, bridges, etc... Just a thought.
fullheadasteam

Post by fullheadasteam »

Is the engine not a C&O H7 simple simon.