PTFE tube for steam?

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

DianneB

PTFE tube for steam?

Post by DianneB »

Has anybody tried PTFE tubing in steam service? It looks like the specs go well above the requirements for saturated steam at 100 PSI.

The vacuum breaks on my LE American never did work worth sxxx - ejector used a LOT of steam and produced no vacuum so I switched it over to steam brakes but I need a short piece of flexible tube between the plumbing from the control valve and the brake cylinder but nothing I have tried stands up to the heat.

Experience with PTFE (or other) tubing would be appreciated.
SteveM

Re: PTFE tube for steam?

Post by SteveM »

No personal experience, but I know that they make brake lines for cars out of PTFE, but they are covered in braided stainless steel to protect them.

Steve
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
For steam I have used Nitrile tube with a braided covering. It is black, available in many sizes and you can get it from Mcmaster. They sell it by the foot. It works fine for steam.
Jack
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

We have stainless braided PTFE lines supplying oxygen and nitrogen to one of our machines that were all tested to 500 PSI. I've also used it for oil cooler lines with no problems. The stuff with the black braided cloth covering would offer much better insulation value and I think it's a bit more flexible. Google says it's good to around 500*F, for what that's worth.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Not a steam guy, but I am a hydraulics & pneumatic guy.
So....some 'general' trivia from the that world.
Nitrile:
max operating temp: 210 F
max Intermittent temp: 250 F
PTFE:
max operating temp: 400 F
max intermittent temp: 500 F

On heavy equipment, back in the days when air systems were standard, PTFE hose w/SS braided cover was used from the outlet of the compressor, to the next connection, whether it be a tank, filter, or junction block. Nitrile hose was used for the remainder of the system. Nitrile hose will work for compressor outlets, I've done it in a pinch,, but only a short time. It would get over-temped, become brittle, and fail. Outlet temps at compressors can easily exceed 350-400 F.
If you are using PTFE hose, or any hose for that matter, check with the OEM, and see what their temp & pressure rating is. I've seen PTFE rated at 300 F, and 500 F, for similar hose from different manufacturers.

Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

It will work for what you want...
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
mspetersen

Post by mspetersen »

Eaton Stainless braided line with a PTFE liner is rated for 440 degrees according to the catalog. Others brands should be similar.

Had a customer who was using one as a fuel line in a stock car and ended up with a fire in the engine compartment. Had the line next to the exhaust manifold, which probably was around 2000+ degrees when the engine was running full bore.
Mark Petersen

12" x 36" Logan Lathe
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

mspetersen wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:25 pm Eaton Stainless braided line with a PTFE liner is rated for 440 degrees according to the catalog. Others brands should be similar.
Aeroquip, now Eaton, 2807, which is PTFE/SS wire braid wrapped hose, was generally what we used. That was at two equipment manufacturers, and at a lot of mines I worked at.
Anywho....I looked it up, in an old and new book, and it is rated at 500 F operating.

Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
squandt

Post by squandt »

worked in the plastic thermoforming industry were we had oven's that ran at 900deg's plus, used the stainless wrapped ptfe as air line's that supplied air at 120 psi to hold the sheet material in the clamp frame to heat anywere from 2 to 10 min. Never had any blow out or melt, so steam is no big deal,you can get it from McMaster Carr as stated, in roll up to 50 feet in many size's , plus the hardware to make up the size you need.
stay on the shine side of the rail
DianneB

Post by DianneB »

squandt wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:26 am .... you can get it from McMaster Carr as stated
Unfortunately I am in Canada and McMaster-Carr refuse to ship here. Most suppliers sell a minimum of a 20 foot roll and are asking close to $200 for a roll - that's awfully expensive to get 1 foot of tube!
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Tell me what part numbers you need..
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
DianneB

Post by DianneB »

Part number for a 25 foot roll is 101-0312031-NT-25