Favorite train movie

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Rob Gardner

Re: Favorite train movie

Post by Rob Gardner »

My favs are:

1. The Natural:
Robert Redford and Midwest's ex-GTW USRA Light Mike #4070, the first mainline steam engine I ever experienced on the CVL in Cleveland. Filmed on the NY&LE in Gowanda, NY. I guess their track was really in much better shape back in the early 80's, though that's still hard for me to believe, lol.

2. Tough Guys:
Nothing more needs to be said here, lol.

3. Switchback:
If you're a fan of the Rocky Mountains and the D&RGW, this is the movie for you. Not the strongest storyline, but suspenseful and no gratuitous violence. Stars Dennis Quaid and Danny Glover. It was filmed on both the Moffat and Tennesse Pass Routes and I think even down in Alamosa, though I'm not 100% sure. Interesting in that they they didn't use any actual D&RGW power but pained up some ex-SP SD-39's in D&RGW. If you are in the Denver area and head west on Coal Creek Canyon Rd like you're going from Plainview up to Pinecliffe, you'll pass through Wondervu. There's a motel on the right and a Mexican restaurant on the left. The entire film crew and cast ate their often during filming and they have a number of photos and framed newspaper articles hanging throughout the place. Some of the hotter Mexican food I've encountered in Colorado! I try and stop there at least once on every trip I make out that way.

Rob Gardner