Hydrostatic Lubricator Drawings

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

daves1459

Hydrostatic Lubricator Drawings

Post by daves1459 »

This as a real L-O-N-G shot: Does anyone out there have a set of drawings I could get copies of for the 1.5" scale Detroit Lubricator described by Basil Palmer in the October 1991 issue of Model Engineer magazine. Mr. Palmer offered free drawings of his hydrostatic lubricator design to anyone upon request. I've been in touch with Model Engineer magazine and since the drawings were a private offering, not through Model Engineer, they would not have them in their archive. I've also surveyed the Model Engineer chat room.

Thanks, Dave
Sandiapaul

Re: Hydrostatic Lubricator Drawings

Post by Sandiapaul »

I have that issue of ME, in fact I bought because of that article. I would love to know about how to get copies of those drawings too.
steamingon

Post by steamingon »

Hello, You might get a response if you post your request on these UK forums;

http://modeleng.proboards.com/

https://www.model-engineer.co.uk/forums/
jkimberln

Post by jkimberln »

When that article came out, I was interested in making a version for m 3-cyl Schools Class engine. I didn't have drawings but I looked at the article and figured out the function of all the parts and rough dimension, then made my own lubricator which had 3-pots rather than the Detroit's 4 pots. It is a rather simple design but involves some very small work and the ability (in my case) to make very flat ends on three small glass cylinders for the sight glasses. Basil Palmer only has some rather simple drawings in the article but they are good enough to build his lubricator if you really need the "look" of the Detroit rather than just the function.
Attachments
IMG_0197.jpg
IMG_0212[1].jpg
daves1459

Post by daves1459 »

jkimberln wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:31 pm When that article came out, I was interested in making a version for m 3-cyl Schools Class engine. I didn't have drawings but I looked at the article and figured out the function of all the parts and rough dimension, then made my own lubricator which had 3-pots rather than the Detroit's 4 pots. It is a rather simple design but involves some very small work and the ability (in my case) to make very flat ends on three small glass cylinders for the sight glasses. Basil Palmer only has some rather simple drawings in the article but they are good enough to build his lubricator if you really need the "look" of the Detroit rather than just the function.
I agree with you. I've studied the design enough that I think I can make a lubricator. My design would be the same concept except the old configuration with a central oil canister and external tube type sight glasses. My biggest concern is this is the only model design that I have seen that includes the prototype passages that put boiler steam pressure directly inside the top of the sight glass. Those passages require a choke/orifice in the oil delivery pipe at the steam chest, also as the prototype. The choke regulates the amount of oil containing steam the passes into the steam chest. All of the other hydrostatic lubricator designs that I have seen do not contain those steam passages and as a result no chokes in the oil deliver pipe. The choke is detailed in Mr. Palmer's article as shown in your first picture. My concern is that other design considerations were included in Mr. Palmer's lubricator to address the addition of the steam passages. I thought having the original drawings with dimensions would address any issues and help me with the design and development time. If your lubricator included the steam passages, chokes, and what ever that made it function if at all possible I'd like to receive copies of your design to study.

Dave