David Knowles PRR 94 0-4-0 History

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

prr094

David Knowles PRR 94 0-4-0 History

Post by prr094 »

Looking for history on live steam 7-1/4"  PRR 0-4-0 A5s number 94 (it is a replica of the 94 at the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania) and the Reading tender that David Knowles owned and ran at NJLS and PLS? I was recently told that Elmer Nuskey may have built this engine. Would like to hear from anyone who knows the history of the engine or tender. I bought the engine from Dave about 5 years ago. I'm getting ready to have some work done to the engine along with having the correct tender made to replace the Reading tender. Any information and or stories would be greatly appreciated.
Bill Shields

Re: David Knowles PRR 94 0-4-0 History

Post by Bill Shields »

Lots of stories, but little in the way of honest history.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Steam Engine Dan

Post by Steam Engine Dan »

prr094 wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:33 pm Looking for history on live steam 7-1/4"  PRR 0-4-0 A5s number 94 (it is a replica of the 94 at the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania) and the Reading tender that David Knowles owned and ran at NJLS and PLS? I was recently told that Elmer Nuskey may have built this engine. Would like to hear from anyone who knows the history of the engine or tender. I bought the engine from Dave about 5 years ago. I'm getting ready to have some work done to the engine along with having the correct tender made to replace the Reading tender. Any information and or stories would be greatly appreciated.
to my knowledge, the engine was originally built by Charlie Nass in Long Island NY. Charlie was a member of the Long Island Live Steamers. when Charlie passed away, his wife asked Fred Boufard another member of LILS to put the engine up for sale. dave heard about the engine from fred and said SOLD!!. dave went to LILS, bought the engine and brought it to NJ. it was a popular engine at NJLS, PLS, LILS and others.
Trainman4602

Post by Trainman4602 »

Yes it is true that Charlie Nass built the locomotive using the reading Camelback castings that I sold thru Mercer Locomotive. I also Built the boiler for it.
ALLWAYS OPERATING MY TRAIN IN A SAFE MANNER USING AUTOMATIC AIR BRAKES