McMaster carr part number

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

hoppercar

McMaster carr part number

Post by hoppercar »

Looking in the McMaster carr catalog, for the 5/16ths o.d. copper tubing used for live steam injectors...can't find it ?....does anyone have there part number or another supplier ?
ALCOSTEAM

Re: McMaster carr part number

Post by ALCOSTEAM »

I would assume you are looking at the paper catalog? Going to their website and doing a search for copper tubing brings up their selection guide on the left side of your screen.

5/16 o.d. tube will be 8967K59 for straight non bendable, and 8955K241 and 8955K251 for bendable coils depending on which pressure range you are after.
hoppercar

Post by hoppercar »

Aaahhh...there it is...thanks for the help....I would assume, the coil, with the .049 wall thickness, allows adequate flow for a superscale injector
ALCOSTEAM

Post by ALCOSTEAM »

I have always followed the rule that if you have a 5/16 injector, run 3/8 lines up to the injector. 1/4 injector go 5/16 lines. The larger the water supply lines the less effort it takes the injector to draw water in.
10 Wheeler Rob

Post by 10 Wheeler Rob »

I have no issues with the super scale injector I piped with the 5/16"OD copper tubing.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

10 Wheeler Rob wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:21 pm I have no issues with the super scale injector I piped with the 5/16"OD copper tubing.
Same for my Ten Wheeler, using 5/16" tubing.
I have to throttle back the water flow to keep from killing the boiler pressure.
Works fine, all the time.
~RN
BClemens

Post by BClemens »

Keep in mind that refrigeration tubing is measured by it's outside diameter or O.D.: ¼, ½, 5/8, ¾, 7/8, 1-1/8, 1-3/8, 1-5/8, etc. Plumbing tubing is measured by it's inside diameter or I.D. : 1/8, ¼, ½, ¾, 1, 1-1/4, 1-1/2, 1-3/4,etc.

BC
b4autodark

Post by b4autodark »

Having worked in the plumbing, heating, and cooling industry for 50 years and having installed thousands of feet of copper tube I can tell you with certainty that no copper tube is measured or sold or ordered by it's inside diameter or I.D.

Example, if you have a 5/8" copper sweat 90 degree ell it will fit any 5/8" tube no matter what the I.D. is or if it is used for plumbing or refrigeration.

The I.D. of copper tube is determined by the wall thickness of the tube. The wall thickness of the tube is determined by the "type" of tube specified. There are many "types" of copper tube such as type M, type L, type K, or type DWV .

The confusion usually comes into play because traditionally some copper tube is called by nominal size, for example plumbers will call 5/8" O.D.tube for water piping 1/2" and use the term 3/4" for what is actually 7/8" O.D.

These methods of identification of copper tube hold true for both hard copper tube typically called copper "pipe", or "annealed" rolls of "soft" copper tube. The length is generally 10' or 20' for hard tube, and 60' or 100' rolls for soft copper.

The only difference between tube used for refrigeration and plumbing is that refrigeration tube is "cleaned and capped" from the manufacturer and is usually type L which withstands higher working pressures (because of greater wall thickness) than plumbing water tube which is usually type M and is not cleaned or capped from the factory because it is usually chlorinated and flushed. Both use the same fittings though the method of soldering may be different.

I have worked with copper tube from 1/8" to 8" diameter in all types and methods of joining. Copper joints consist of compression, flared fittings, soft solders of many types and alloy compositions, hard solders, silver solders, TIG welded and I'm sure I've missed a few.

I hope this helps to clarify the issue.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

giggle......someone should go into Home Depot or Loew's and purchase some 1/4" or 3/8" tube...

what 'used to was' isn't the 'way it is'.....
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
JTolan

Post by JTolan »

Ive run 1/4" pipe to superscale injectors without an issue.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

b4autodark wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:08 pm Having worked in the plumbing, heating, and cooling industry for 50 years and having installed thousands of feet of copper tube I can tell you with certainty that no copper tube is measured or sold or ordered by it's inside diameter or I.D.
That parallels my experience. Tubing is measured by the OD, while pipe, up to 12", is measured by the ID, and even that doesn't reflect true size for pipe.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Bill Shields wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:02 pm giggle......someone should go into Home Depot or Loew's and purchase some 1/4" or 3/8" tube...

what 'used to was' isn't the 'way it is'.....
Most likely due to uninformed individuals making decisions that are not correct. Only those who are misinformed do that.
Have any doubts? Check a Jorgensen's stock book.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.