Plumbing question

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

cp4449

Plumbing question

Post by cp4449 »

I need to put a short nipple into a boiler. For a new check valve. It will be 1/4” or 3/16 line. In the full size world I would use a pipe wrench. In the LS world what do you use so the threads are not screwed up? Is there a small wrench you use?

Thx
Christopher P. Mahony
Los Angeles Live Steamers
1 inch scale member
FLSTEAM

Re: Plumbing question

Post by FLSTEAM »

Just use the check valve as the flat to tighten by. If you need to take it apart use the check again. Leave the nipple in the part it stayed with.
Close nipples are pretty much one time use. If you have to remove it completely throw it away an buy a new one.

John B
hoppercar

Post by hoppercar »

I sometimes take a small piece of brass, driIl and tap it for your pipe thread, then take a hack saw, split it in two., clean up the edges with a needle file. Put these two pieces on your pipe nipple, and tighten It down with a pair of pliers.
10 Wheeler Rob

Post by 10 Wheeler Rob »

I tap a jam nut and tap a piece if hex stock not to full depth put on the jam nut and hexpeice tighten the two together on one end of nipple and screw it to the place I want it to go. Then take simple back off the hex from the jam nut.
10 Wheeler Rob

Post by 10 Wheeler Rob »

I also often buy stainless steel nipples, because they are stronger than bronze or brass. And I never connect brass nipples to boilers, always stainless steel or bronze.

Zinc will leach out of brass at the boiler making it porous and weakens with time.
cp4449

Post by cp4449 »

It is a copper boiler. Is brass a no no?
Christopher P. Mahony
Los Angeles Live Steamers
1 inch scale member
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

cp4449 wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:39 am It is a copper boiler. Is brass a no no?
Yes, but bronze is not. Brass consists of copper and zinc, while bronze consists of copper and tin. Much stronger, and it doesn't dissolve from the copper the way zinc does. Use bronze if you hope for the fittings to go the distance. Brass has the potential to fail due to dezincification.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.