Boiler Check Valve Manufacturer?

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

cp4449

Re: Boiler Check Valve Manufacturer?

Post by cp4449 »

Builder01 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:08 pm
cp4449 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:33 pm While we are at it, does anybody know where I can get a boiler check valve for a 1" scale locomotive?
Do you need a drawing? They are not difficult to make.

David
Would like to but do not have a lathe. I will look at the one I have on one of my locomotives, take a photo, and get back to you all.

BTW, in the 1:1 world, was there a valve inline with the boiler check valve?
Christopher P. Mahony
Los Angeles Live Steamers
1 inch scale member
ccvstmr

Post by ccvstmr »

Doublereefed...used a sand blaster to clean up the silver soldering (see previous photos). Did a nice job of pitting the casting to accept paint. Would suggest instead...use glass bead for blasting...that's not as "aggressive" on the casting metal. Leaves a nice patina too. Polished the check valve cap on a buffing wheel. Masked the cap and threads and painted the rest. Here's how the check valve looked after mounting.

To me, saving the original check valve was worth the effort. Good luck on your valve repair. Carl B.

xIMG_1012.jpg
Life is like a sewer...what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!
I don't walk on water...I just learned where some of the stepping stones are!
I love mankind...it's some of the people I can't stand!
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

For anyone interested in making their own, the April 1988 issue of Live Steam has an article titled, "The Reversible Boiler Check Valve," by Pete Livermore and Jack Fesco, p. 19.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
jcbrock

Post by jcbrock »

cp4449 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:56 pm BTW, in the 1:1 world, was there a valve inline with the boiler check valve?
Most locos (maybe all) had a shutoff valve either incorporated in the check valve or between the check valve and the boiler. That's what makes a boiler check valve different from an ordinary check valve. Check valves stick, it's a good thing to be able to either shut them and/or service them without dumping boiler pressure/water back through the feedwater system.
John Brock
Mike Walsh

Post by Mike Walsh »

jcbrock wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:02 pm
cp4449 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:56 pm BTW, in the 1:1 world, was there a valve inline with the boiler check valve?
Most locos (maybe all) had a shutoff valve either incorporated in the check valve or between the check valve and the boiler. That's what makes a boiler check valve different from an ordinary check valve. Check valves stick, it's a good thing to be able to either shut them and/or service them without dumping boiler pressure/water back through the feedwater system.
He's right. In the grand scales world, it's hard to find reliable check valves anymore. We've tried the original bronze-valve on bronze seat swing check valves, and we've tried bronze seat and PTFE insert poppet style checks, and all require some form of maintenance sooner or later. the PTFE works real well, when you have nothing but CLEAN water. No sediments. The slightest piece of debris will embed itself in the PTFE and it will be just enough to hold the seal off of the seat and leak steam and eventually water. But at least they're serviceable. We have a ball valve right between the check and the boiler, and let me tell you - it is a godsend when it comes to servicing! Ten minutes (provided you have the replacement insert and proper tools on hand) is plenty of time to pull the poppet, replace the seal, and put it back together.

Do yourself a favor and put a shutoff valve of some sort between the check and the boiler. Even if you have a leaky check, you can shut it off, and use another form of water delivery to get you back to the steaming bay for repairs...
DaveD

Post by DaveD »

Don at the farm wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:08 pm I’d like a top mount double check with diffuser for a 1-1/2” scale project. Any thoughts? Anyone ever make one from a drawing?
Even commercially?
A Nathan Type T would be nice but not picky at this point.
Don
Don, see my PM to you about this.
Dave Dalton
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

I've also wondered if anyone ever made the top-mount double check valve in 1 1/2" scale. The N&W used them on their locomotives, retrofitting some of them during their service lives from the traditional side-mounted checks.
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

Pontiacguy1 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:49 pm I've also wondered if anyone ever made the top-mount double check valve in 1 1/2" scale. The N&W used them on their locomotives, retrofitting some of them during their service lives from the traditional side-mounted checks.
What's left of my memory wants to think that there was an article about this in one of the magazines: Live Steam, Model Tec? Anyone know for sure?
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
cp4449

Post by cp4449 »

Here is a photo of mine on my LE 1" 0-6-0. Homemade or LE design?
Attachments
IMG_4066.jpg
Christopher P. Mahony
Los Angeles Live Steamers
1 inch scale member
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Here is one built back in the 1960s and still in working service.

left hand side feeds from injector
right hand side feeds from steam driven pump.

Made from a few pieces of 7/16" brass hex bar.
feedwater check.jpg
this on a 1" 2-4-0

the small screws are the stops to keep the balls in place.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.