small amounts of o-rings s/s balls etc

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

squandt

small amounts of o-rings s/s balls etc

Post by squandt »

Hello all,I am looking for a suppler that sells small amounts of supplies O-rings, s/s balls etc. I know that I can get stuff from McMaster Carr,I do not need 100 or more, I have looked on line for small sellers in hardware(o-rings etc) no luck. Any help would be great.
stay on the shine side of the rail
Fred_V

Re: small amounts of o-rings s/s balls etc

Post by Fred_V »

I have bought o-rings from Ace Hardware, Home Depot and Lowes. They don't have all sizes but do have a lot. I have bought SS balls from Amazon after googling the size I was looking for.
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
michaellynn2

Post by michaellynn2 »

I buy all my O-rings at Napa. They have a large stock of most sizes and will sell you one O-ring if you need just that one.
michael george
Mike Walsh

Post by Mike Walsh »

For what its worth, you will probably spend more to find these items in smaller quantities than you would when you have a larger quantity. Besides, it pays dividends to buy the bulk pack, put it in a box marked "LOCO SPARE PARTS" and forget about it... until you need them, at which point you can walk the twenty feet to the shelf, instead of making a twenty minute phone call to the vendor, paying for it, then paying shipping fees, etc.......
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

I get them from amazon and always purchase VITON O-Rings so that I don't have to worry about 'where can I use it?'

Lots of 25 are about right.

put them in pill bottles, mark the size on the top and sides and have a life-time supply...unless I stop taking pills and have no more bottles to put them in.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

Mike Walsh wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:44 am For what its worth, you will probably spend more to find these items in smaller quantities than you would when you have a larger quantity. Besides, it pays dividends to buy the bulk pack, put it in a box marked "LOCO SPARE PARTS" and forget about it... until you need them, at which point you can walk the twenty feet to the shelf, instead of making a twenty minute phone call to the vendor, paying for it, then paying shipping fees, etc.......
Squandt:

I'm with Mike on this one. I understand not wanting to have extra stuff lying around, but here's another way to think about this: Let's use a 3/8 i.d. x 1/2 o.d. Viton ring as an example. Bought one at a time from a local supplier would more than likely run about 50 cents per copy. Add to that the cost of your time and gas to get there and back. Meanwhile a package of 100 from Zorro tools is $3.96 plus $5 shipping comes to $8.96. And you could probably do better on Ebay, which I use frequently for such little stuff. Frequently Ebay sellers include shipping. (I see a bag of 50 of our example for $5.69 including shipping.) So, in the end, for just under six bucks and a few mouse clicks you will be done with it and on to other things.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

I've picked up several partially used assortments of o-rings at farm auctions, usually as one of the items in box from a pile of "choice for $2.00" boxes (the Elastrator bands and used ear tags are a bonus). The only ones I need to go to the co-op for are the really large ones.

Of course, now I need to learn not to give in to the temptation to save used ones that "look ok"...
Chris Hollands

Post by Chris Hollands »

I use a company called - O-RINGS inc -- sales@oringsUSA.com

any o-ring size / material / duro ( hardness ) and quantity .

Excellent service - i just go on line and order what I want use the old credit card and they turn up at my door .

Pretty simple one stop shopping .
mspetersen

Post by mspetersen »

Unless you're doing a local pickup, the freight charges will exceed the cost of the O rings. UPS is around $12-15 in zone for a pound or less. Usually cheaper to buy more at those rates.

We'll ship small quantities anywhere in the US and Canada though www/valleyhydraulic.com We also stock Viton O rings, pressure gauges and brass fittings as well. Check out our website!
Mark Petersen

12" x 36" Logan Lathe
NP317

Post by NP317 »