Just add WARMTH!

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

jcbrock

Re: Just add WARMTH!

Post by jcbrock »

I'm sure Dianne took your statement with understanding, Barry. Whomping in my opinion is not so much "error" as more a matter of "style". Some of us are quiet and unassuming, others loud and flashy. Now in Bill's example where parts actually leave the loco, that may be more towards the error end of the spectrum.
John Brock
DianneB

Post by DianneB »

I will always take Barry's statement as offensive, if I can!

There is "whomp" and there is WHOMP!!!

Many years ago, when running my 1/2 scale traction engine at a local show, lunch time rolled around and I needed to go to the cook shack for my vittles so I dropped the draft door on the baby Russell. (It had a VERY tight ash pan and dropping the draft would put the coal fire out.)

When I came back, somewhat later than expected, there was no smoke from the stack, no glow in the firebox but still lots of heat from the coal so I threw in 1/2 cup of my "starter fluid" - 95% fuel oil and 5% gasoline.

When the starter fluid hit the coal bed there was a loud WHOMP!!! and a pillar of black smoke up the stack! Also at that point I noticed some spectators had been walking by and they jumped like they had been shot.

I just casually closed the firebox door as if it does this all the time and turned away so they didn't see my smile ........ :mrgreen:
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

did you still have eyebrows?
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
DianneB

Post by DianneB »

Bill Shields wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:13 pmdid you still have eyebrows?
Oh yea. I knew there was enough heat in the firebox that it might flash so I stood back as I "perked up the fire" LOL!
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Operator Error is when my young colleague tries to relight the oil fire off the hot bricks of a 70-ton 2-8-2,
and blows himself into the tender tank, removing all the hair from his face!
He was rather sore for a week, but didn't break any bones.
~RN