Tom bee

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Bill Shields

Re: Tom bee

Post by Bill Shields »

Bridget:

Good to hear from you and best wishes for your success with the line.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
TomBeeOnline

Post by TomBeeOnline »

Thanks, Bill. We look forward to supplying Live Steam enthusiasts (like you!) with Tom Bee products for many years to come.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Thank you for your introduction.
Knowing our suppliers is important in this relatively small community.

So: Welcome! I hope you excel.
If I need trucks again, they will be from you. My Tom Bee trucks have been in flawless service for over 15 years.
~RN
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

TomBeeOnline wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:20 pmGoing forward, you can purchase his gorgeous engines through Tom...
Just how would one contact Tom to purchase a loco? His previous website had that information, but I didn't see it on the new website.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Welcome, Bridget.
Thanks for explaining the status of the Tom Bee line.
I would like to reiterate the point that got this topic started, resulting in the complaints that have been aired.
When one makes a purchase from you, he/she is entitled to know when the product will be delivered. That's particularly true if you immediately charge the card on which the order is being placed. In my experience, the card is usually charged ONLY when the product has been shipped, which is fair for both parties.

When accepting orders, or when buyers inquire as to the status of an existing order, to provide information that isn't realistic may buy you some time, but the cost to you will be, without fail, a soiled reputation. Be honest with your delivery dates, and when the unexpected happens and you are unable to meet the promised delivery---don't wait for the buyer to complain. IMMEDIATELY contact the individual and explain the situation, including a new delivery date, one that is realistic and can be met. It would be highly unusual for the buyer to not understand, and to be tolerant of the delay. By contrast, giving them lip service after they call to inquire is the worst possible thing you can do. With that, your credibility is gone, often never to be recovered. You've already seen an example of that in this thread. It's hard to make a success of a business once that happens.

I was self employed for the majority of my productive years. My reputation was the most valuable asset I had, and was built on honesty and quality. I count my years a success. I'm hoping you'll be able to make the same claim with your new found business.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

+1 on your acquisition of Tom Bee trucks. Great to hear! Tom Bee trucks have certainly become the gold standard. Just wish they were available in the larger gauges.

FWIW, I think Tom built his product line on two fundamentals: quality product, and world class service. In fact I think Tom’s success was based more on his rock solid dependability than on the quality of his excellent trucks. We’ve recently seen very public examples of vendors with good product fall out of favor, simply because they don’t do what they promised to do. Can’t stress enuf how important it is to know the person on the other end of the line is rock solid, every time. :D

Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
Marty_Knox

Post by Marty_Knox »

BigDumbDinosaur wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:19 am
TomBeeOnline wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:20 pmGoing forward, you can purchase his gorgeous engines through Tom...
Just how would one contact Tom to purchase a loco? His previous website had that information, but I didn't see it on the new website.
If you have any questions for Tom, you can call him at 248-935-8234.
TomBeeOnline

Post by TomBeeOnline »

Thank you everyone for the kind comments. It is the wonderful and supportive people in this hobby that keep us going every day.

If you need to get a hold of Tom about is electric steam engines, you can contact me via email tombeeonline@gmail.com or cell 216-559-6688 and I would be happy to get you in touch with Tom.

I looked through this thread, and there were two people that had orders through us. I reached out to them directly to address their concerns in a private forum.

Harold_V - I do not see any orders that were placed by you via our website, nor do I see emails from you that have been unanswered. However, I see that you are frustrated with our service. Perhaps you placed an order or sent an email under a different name? Please let me know so that I can be sure to make things right. We work hard everyday to make sure all of our customers are taken care of....I would like to do the same for you.

In the future, if there are questions or concerns please feel free to reach out to me directly as I do not come to these pages often.

Thanks again,

Bridget
tombeeonline@gmail.com
cell 216-559-6688
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Bridget,
I'm sorry I wasn't more descriptive in my comments. I have not done business with you. I am simply trying to reflect the thoughts of having experienced similar behavior when doing business with others, and how I feel when I have been dismissed when I have a legitimate concern.

An example.
I have always been interested in live steam. I obtained brochures from Little Engines as early as the late 50's, when I was a young lad and had no means to pursue the hobby. I make mention only so I can reflect how long I've held my interest.

About thirty years ago I committed to working towards building a live steam locomotive. That would include moving to another state, and building a house and shop. That's where I find myself now, with the building behind me, and working towards the completion of my shop.

Back to the point----I wanted to get up to speed on model locomotives and steam, so I placed an order with a source. Three weeks passed and I hadn't received any of the several books I ordered. When I inquired, I was chastised for not being patient. After all, this was just a pass-time endeavor for the seller (who most likely was buying and reselling books on order). I was just supposed to know that they would ship books if and when they felt the need? Why wasn't there a caution included with the offer--that delivery would exceed a month (which it did), all the while I had no clue if the order had even been received. I did not find that acceptable then, and I don't find it acceptable now.

It costs one nothing to be polite, and to provide honest and accurate information. I received neither from that individual.
As I moderate this board, I go out of my way to ensure that readers are not short changed. I provide comments that alert folks when there are reports of less than acceptable service. I also praise those who "do it right". I try to be fair and balanced.

I apologize if I said anything that mislead you to thinking I was commenting about dealing with me. That was not intended. I was just trying to pass to you good and valuable knowledge that I gained through my many years of being self employed, and the frustration of doing business with sources who don't provide the service they offer.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Benjamin Maggi

Post by Benjamin Maggi »

I didn't start the thread but I certainly posted my thoughts on Tom Bee. I said before, and continue to say, that they make outstanding trucks and great couplers. I just didn't like being told multiple times ship dates that were incorrect. At this point, I have nothing else to say negative towards Tom Bee.
"One cannot learn to swim without getting his feet wet." - Benjamin Maggi
- Building: 7.25" gauge "Sweet Pea" named "Catherine"