Romney, Hythe & Dymchurch tips?

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Greg_Lewis

Romney, Hythe & Dymchurch tips?

Post by Greg_Lewis »

Hi folks. We're still planning our trip; thanks for the tips on London museums. We'll also head down to the Canterbury area and take a ride on the Romney, Hythe and Dymchurch railway. I've been all over their website and may book a footplate ride. I think I'll pass on the opportunity to pull the throttle; I'd rather let someone else do the work while I let my mind and eyeballs go where they may.

But the question is: do those folks give shop tours? And are there any other secrets an addict should know about the railroad? Thanks!
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
Oktrainboys

Re: Romney, Hythe & Dymchurch tips?

Post by Oktrainboys »

Stay at the Captain Howey Hotel, arrange and get up EARLY to walk across the street and take in the AM ritual of prepping and bringing the rostered loco's out of the engine house and coal up. Then enjoy your day! The turning of the loco's on the Hythe turntable is wonderful too! Have been 3 times. The loco's are not scale miniatures but rather real loco's IN MINIATURE! 11 tons of pure perfection! When you stand next to one you understand. Workshop tours are possible, RHDR #1 Green Goddess is in there getting very close now to coming out of major overhaul post her wreck. I am very proud to own the only 6" scale miniature of a RHDR loco in the world, RHDR #12 Tintern Abbey, Green Goddess Class.
Attachments
image.jpg
Last edited by Oktrainboys on Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:27 pm, edited 5 times in total.
LIALLEGHENY

Post by LIALLEGHENY »

Greg,

Don't know if you go on Facebook, but if so go to their page and contact them about a possible shop tour. Can't hurt to ask, you never know. Lots of info on their page as well

Nyle.
johnpenn74

Post by johnpenn74 »

WHen I was there in 2013, the shop tour was the "sure go ahead and have a look around..." Really nice guys. Which was kinda shocking given the laws and restrictions in the UK on trespassing. Everywhere you go railroads are inside fences with lots of signs talking about a 1000 Sterling fine etc.....

I also stayed Captain Howey's and was in the center of things the next morning. Just be careful about coming back to the hotel late. Many smaller ones don't staff the desk past 8:00 pm. AKA locked out. I can't remember where I went from there. I just remember it has something to do with getting on a bus that got me to the next railroad. Spa Valley or Blue Bell Maybe.

On the down side you will end up buying two or three train tickets if you stay in the middle.

Ride the open air car,... bring a coat.

If your schedule permits, hang out in the station and watch the trains roll through. The best time I had in my whole trip was hanging out in the Signal Box for a few hours on Severn Valley.

JP
Attachments
CAM00942.jpg
CAM00948.jpg
John Pennington

Logging meets that actually move logs

Project
2 Mich-Cal Shays
Allen 4-4-0 Narrow Gauge Conversion
Two Reading A5a Camelback 0-4-0
USRA 0-6-0
Clishay
4 Western Wheeled Scraper NG Dump Cars
N&W 4-8-2
ICM 2-10-2
4 Modern Stake Cars
L&N Caboose
4 Big Four Conversion Gondolas

Like I'm actually gonna build all this stuff :-P
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

You look downright presentable in that picture, John!
pat1027

Post by pat1027 »

The foot plate is a nice ride and worth doing. A second for the open cars. You can't see much from the roofed cars. If they still run the express in the afternoon ride that. We went non-stop from New Romney to Dungeness and back north to Dymchurch. When we got back to New Romney the driver didn't back off. As soon as the locomotive came out from under Littlestone Rd he laid on the whistle all the way through the station.
B&OBob

Post by B&OBob »

In addition to coseup viewing, I also enjoyed parking a hundred yards from a level crossing to whatch the trains roar through. There was a tragic accident several years later when some moron ignored the flashing warning lights.

During our two-week self-conducted 1970 "Model Engineers' England" tour, my father and I visited the RH&D for a whole day and were waiting on a corner for a bus to take us the BR train station for return to London. A car pulled over and the driver asked if we needed a lift. When we told himwhere we were going, he said, "Get in. I'll take you." But when he learned why we were there, and after checking with his wife. he invited us for dinner at his home. Folowing a delicious diner and an evening of engorssing conversation, he delivered us to the station in a memorable example of British hospitality.

B&OBob
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

BEWARE the foot plate ride...they ask you if you want to shovel coal....giggle

it isn't so bad on the RH&D but on a full size steamer, it's a LOT of work (they didn't have too many mechanical stokers in the UK)
Too many things going on to bother listing them.