Women in the hobby?

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

MsChrissi

Re: Women in the hobby?

Post by MsChrissi »

I have been told "Why yes, we have a women's auxiliary, they sew and hold bake sales and make lunch".
We joined the local Experimental Aircraft Association (we were building a 4 seat plane at the time from plans) and while they were building the new chapter hanger was offered the job of arranging the magazines. Meanwhile online one of the builders suggested we stay home and knit.
Persistence and a thick skin. We now manufacture the metal components for the same plane, we are volunteers teaching aircraft engine maintenance and composite airframe construction at air shows. It's changing, slowly.
DianneB

Post by DianneB »

MsChrissi wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:24 pm I have been told "Why yes, we have a women's auxiliary, they sew and hold bake sales and make lunch".....
One would have hoped that kind of attitude would have died out after WWII!

Interesting about the EAA! In 1977 to 1980 I rebuilt a wrecked 1946 Aeronca Champ to type-certified and fling again.

I have to say that most of the men I have known in my "unconventional pursuits" have been helpful and supportive. It is the ignorant and the insecure who are BOT supportive!
MsChrissi

Post by MsChrissi »

Dianne, though my father was an engineer it was my mother who taught me the attitude "If you want to get something done, find the tools and do it yourself!" ...there was no inanimate object that was safe from her turning it into a lamp =)
Kudos on the Aeronca!
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
One of the most talented model builders to ever walk the planet is Cherry Hill. Her work is spectacular. Here is a link , truly inspirational!
http://speedreaders.info/15592-cherrys- ... erry-hill/
Jack
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Women are different, genetically. The Fields Medal in mathematics has been around for over 80 years, and only one woman has won. That's not bias or sexism at work. We are different.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Excellent discussion.
My hope is that ANY PERSON will be allowed to pursue whatever interests they have, without interference from historic cultural limits.
My daughter-in-law is a working Mechanical Engineer, and also working on her Masters degree.
She was born with such interests, rebuilt motorcycles with her father, and has had to fight "social norms" to follow her interests.
She is a fighter, and is succeeding wonderfully. With significant efforts. It should be easier...
We are very proud of her.
~RN
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I would love to live in a house with machine tools in the living room by the TV, no carpeting, and a drain in the floor of every room to make cleaning easier. I think throw pillows should be the subject of a federal ban. I wish my kitchen had stainless and tile all the way up to the ceiling so I could clean it with a pressure cleaner instead of paper towels. I wish I had a 100-foot indoor shooting lane off the living room. About 95% of women would have to be sedated after a week in a house I designed. The male brain is what it is.

I seriously looked into putting my TIG welder in the living room after my dad moved to an ALF.

On the other side of the coin, sharing bathrooms with most men is not much different from sharing them with swine, and it's amazing to me that most men can spend about 40% of their waking hours in front of blaring TV's bombarding them with meaningless sports.
Last edited by SteveHGraham on Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

BigDumbDinosaur wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:48 pm Almost forgot to mention...I've been professionally involved with computers since 1970, and went full-time as a self-employed computer jock 30 years ago. In all that time, I have met one female computer programmer, and have never encountered any woman who knows anything about assembly language, chip registers or any of that sort of stuff—all things that I routinely work with, and seem to be the province of males only.
I guess that you never met Grace Hopper :shock:
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

DianneB wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:45 pm
BigDumbDinosaur wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:48 pmIn all that time, I have met one female computer programmer, and have never encountered any woman who knows anything about assembly language, chip registers or any of that sort of stuff—all things that I routinely work with ,,,,,
Oh I LOVED Assembly language and micro processing! I worked in that field from 1978 to 1986 and even worked with another female /designer/programmer! It is SO detailed and precise I always figured it was a great job for women! I still have a 6800 development system ;)
Put that MC6800 unit under glass! It may be worth quite a bit.

I have a KIM-1 board here, which was a 6502 unit developed as a reference design by MOS Technology in the mid-1970s. I acquired it as part of a railroad project I was on back in those days. I haven't looked at the KIM in years.

I did some 6800 bare metal development in the 70s, but the 6800 was soon eclipsed by the more-capable and less-costly 6502 and its descendants (the principals involved with the 6502's genesis were all ex-Motorola employees). During the 1980s, I did a lot of MC68000 assembly language development, but haven't touched that for some 25 years. Nowadays, most of my programming activity is in C on Linux boxes and embedded devices. However, I still do some 6502 assembly language work, as well as design and build hobby computers based upon the 65C816 MPU, which is a 16-bit version of the 6502 (see below for an example).

Home-Brew 65C816 Computer
Home-Brew 65C816 Computer

You are the first woman I have ever "conversed" with who even knows what assembly language is. :D Heck, most male computer jocks don't know anything about assembly language. :shock:
Last edited by Steggy on Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

Bill Shields wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:18 pm
BigDumbDinosaur wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:48 pm Almost forgot to mention...I've been professionally involved with computers since 1970, and went full-time as a self-employed computer jock 30 years ago. In all that time, I have met one female computer programmer, and have never encountered any woman who knows anything about assembly language, chip registers or any of that sort of stuff—all things that I routinely work with, and seem to be the province of males only.
I guess that you never met Grace Hopper :shock:
Just how old do you think I am??? :D

There has never been any doubt in my mind that female programmers capable of working at the bare metal level (meaning, via assembly language) have existed for decades. However, none has ever crossed my path, and that is in nearly fifty years of wrasslin' with these critters. The one female programmer I did know worked only in high level languages and as far as I knew, had no knowledge of what was going on inside all those chips.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
Dick_Morris

Post by Dick_Morris »

Women in the hobby makes me think of Pam "Hudson Honey" who was regular poster here and a skilled machinist. She has apparently gone on to other pursuits.
DianneB

Post by DianneB »

JBodenmann wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:11 pmOne of the most talented model builders to ever walk the planet is Cherry Hill. Her work is spectacular. Here is a link , truly inspirational!
http://speedreaders.info/15592-cherrys- ... erry-hill/
Jack
There's a book I will HAVE to buy! Even at my age it is good to have an idol!
NP317 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:07 pm My hope is that ANY PERSON will be allowed to pursue whatever interests they have, without interference from historic cultural limits.
I fought for that my whole life! (Not "affirmative action" but EQUAL OPPORTUNITY and equal pay!) We made progress in the 1960s, 70s, and 80's but then Hollywood and advertisers seemed to turn young girls back to "makeup and fluff". Still there are far more women in "non-traditional trades" than there was when I started.
BigDumbDinosaur wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:27 pmPut that MC6800 unit under glass! It may be worth quite a bit.
I designed a stand-alone uP board years ago that is easy to incorporate in any application (years before Arduino came out) and still have enough parts hidden away to build 10 more LOL! (But Arduino is SO much smaller and easier to use.) When the 68701 was being phased out, I bought a lot of "old stock" LOL!
You are the first woman I have ever "conversed" with who even knows what assembly language is. :D Heck, most male computer jocks don't know anything about assembly language.
The move from Assembly to higher level languages marked the end of reliable, fast, and compact code because programmers no longer knew exactly WHAT the processor was doing! ..... But that's getting off topic ;)