Allen Consolidation vs Ten Wheeler

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

wbarbe

Allen Consolidation vs Ten Wheeler

Post by wbarbe »

Has anyone built the Allen Consolidation? I was wondering if it is more or less complicated then the Ten Wheeler? I assume with the smaller drivers and more of them, it should pull a little better and the outside valve gear is nice. Would like to hear from someone who has built one or at least seen one run.
Thanks
NP317

Re: Allen Consolidation vs Ten Wheeler

Post by NP317 »

Having built (and still own & run) both an Allen Ten Wheeler and a small Mikado, I'd say they are about the same amount of work.
Each have their own unique complications. The Ten Wheeler valve gear is much more difficult to work on and adjust, being between the frames.

The Ten wheeler is a faster running locomotive because of the larger diameter drivers. The Consolidation should pull larger trains, with the 8 drivers.
Especially if you make steel tires to mount on the cast iron drivers. I did that for my Mikado.
The Mike is noticeably less slippery than the Ten Wheeler, which has the cast iron tire surfaces. Very important when stopping...

The Consolidation's Baker valve gear is superior to the Stephenson valve gear on the Ten Wheeler.
I have purchased the Allen Baker valve gear castings and drawings, planning to adapt it to the Ten Wheeler.

Most important is to get and build the locomotive you really want.
If the Allen Consolidation had been available when I started in Live Steam, I would have built it first!

My opinions.
~RN
Moron

Post by Moron »

I am building an Allen consolidation and am loving it so far. I have seen one in action and for it’s small size it actually pulls quite a bit and has a decent bark. Looking forward to finishing mine. The building can be just as fun as the finished product
cbrew

Post by cbrew »

the only real difference between the two is the baker valve gear. having built both, the baker gear is a tad bit more complex, but following the write up will yield a well running locomotive with either valve gear.
as for pulling, that is a function of weight on the drivers more then the number of drivers. all of the standard gauge platforms that Allen Models sells are proven performers.
If it is not live steam. its not worth it.
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

I'm currently building the Consolidation so I can speak to it by looking at the 10 Wheeler web pages. Couple of comments and questions:
1) The 2-8-0 lead truck is equalized with the rest of the rigging - it it also on the 10 Wheeler? If no, then the 10 Wheeler is easier.
2) The 2-8-0 Baker valve gear is a project - you should make jigs to hold each part square. The Stevenson gear looks much simpler - and the link/block is already machined.
3) Everything else looks similar to the consolidation.

Looking at all the precut parts that Steve Alley is now selling - I'm jealous. I waterjet my own frame from HRS - you can just order it now. And the consolidation crosshead yokes are all done for you - that was a challenge with hole/band saws and filing. And all the other little parts - all timesavers.

Do you have a lathe and a mill? You will need both. And by the time you are done, you will have a large number of reamers, taps, dies, endmills, collets, lathe bits, and supporting tools, oils and cutting fluids. You will have the Mcmaster (or tool supplier) phone number close to memorized and if you live near one, you will make frequent trips or pay shipping. You need some way to silver solder and it's good to have the number of a tap removal company for backup. Get some metal shipping buckets so you can recycle iron (and broken tools :? ), aluminum and bronze separately. If you make a mistake, don't waste time trying to save it - start over - faster and better. Order a boiler sooner rather than later - having a few grand sitting on the shelf will keep you motivated.

Good luck!
SteveR
12x36 Enco Lathe, 9x42 Bridgeport, SMAW, O/A, Miller MIG w/gas, plasma
Not enough measuring tools...
1.5" Allen Models Consolidation on air.
1" FEF in progress
1" & 3/4" LE Projects
I'm thankful that metal is recyclable....
lrdg2150

Post by lrdg2150 »

I have built both. The first being the ten wheeler. The consolidation I did 99% of the machining on my own. I heard Gene say that he chose Baker for the consolidation so that you wouldn't have to machine the large radiuses in the links.
John
Attachments
IMG_20180317_123447ab.jpg