Valve for steam-operated drains?

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

DianneB

Valve for steam-operated drains?

Post by DianneB »

I made a set of steam-operated cylinder drains for my American this winter only to find that my pressure/vent valve leaks like a sieve!

(It applies pressure to hold the drains closed and vents to atmosphere to drain.)

Does anybody know who makes pressure/vent valves? (Preferably in 1/4-40)
Berkman

Re: Valve for steam-operated drains?

Post by Berkman »

Adding to this does anyone make a push/pull 3 way Cyl cock valve?
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

Superscale did. Part no. 12-04. Perhaps you can find one somewhere.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

You could take a regular globe or angle valve and drill out the threads in the bonnet. Then plumb it up with steam on top of the valve stem rather than under so steam holds it shut.
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
NP5002

Post by NP5002 »

Wayne Godshall has push/pull valves for cylinder cocks. Call American model engineers. 717-275-3273
I have two of them.
Dave Workman
makinsmoke

Post by makinsmoke »

Pardon my ignorance but I thought the push pull valves were for the injectors, which want a quick jolt of steam to get them started.

The cylinder cocks should need nothing more complicated than a steam gate or globe valve, steam on or off. Quick opening or closing is not required, just properly sealing.

Maybe I’m off my nut.

Brian
DianneB

Post by DianneB »

makinsmoke wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:40 pmThe cylinder cocks should need nothing more complicated than a steam gate or globe valve, steam on or off. Quick opening or closing is not required, just properly sealing. Maybe I’m off my nut.
No, you are not 'off your nut.

For steam-operated drains, they need to apply boiler pressure to the line in one position and vent the line to atmosphere in the other position. So it isn't just an "off/on" but a "vent/on".
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

You need a 3 way valve.
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
cbrew

Post by cbrew »

I had a superscale three way valve on the ten wheeler and i have to tell ya, i was not impressed with the lack of reaction time opening the drains.
a low cost solution out be to use a standard valve in the cab and to create a drain cock out of a piece of brass and a pointed setscrew.
using the setscrew as a needle valve in the brass body. you will be able to dial it down to a slow controlled leak. it will also keep the condensate out of the line leading to a faster response. put this assembly at the end of the line, just a thought
If it is not live steam. its not worth it.
PeterCraymer

Post by PeterCraymer »

I just plumbed in 2 valves. One allows steam to the line and cylinder cocks and the other vents that line to the atmosphere. Quick acting and just looks like one more valve on the manifold. Not prototype, but functional. You just have to close one then the other and then reverse the process to open or close.
RET

Post by RET »

Hi,

The simple way is to make a small ball check valve with no closing spring and Install the valve on its side at the low point in the piping.

This way, steam pressure will push the ball into position to close the little check valve and when the steam supply valve is closed, gravity will pull the ball to the side and open the valve after the condensing steam relieves the pressure in the piping. This will allow the lines to drain until the next time you want the drain valves closed.

You can also check out the Clippard company. I'm pretty sure they make small 3 way valves that are inexpensive.

KISS (Keep It Simple, Stupid) is always alive and well if you give it some thought!

Just my two cents for what its worth.

Richard Trounce.