Steam Distraction

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

NP317

Steam Distraction

Post by NP317 »

I just made a 550+ mile round trip drive from Northern Oregon to Port Townsend, WA, area, and returned with this.
boatshow.jpeg
going going.jpeg
I will leave it to you readers to ask questions.
Yes, this might slow down some of my other Steam Protects.
As will my shoulder surgery next week...
~RN
B&OBob

Re: Steam Distraction

Post by B&OBob »

Congratulations -- looks great!
How about a descripion and some closeup pictures of the works?
B&OBob
ccvstmr

Post by ccvstmr »

...so what are you going to do with the dinghy? :oops: Sorry...couldn't resist!

But let's get to the really important details...are you going to rename the boat? ...to what? ...and what kind of flag will be flying from the bow? Carl B.
Life is like a sewer...what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!
I don't walk on water...I just learned where some of the stepping stones are!
I love mankind...it's some of the people I can't stand!
Fender

Post by Fender »

Stay away from African rivers with that!
Dan Watson
Chattanooga, TN
NP317

Post by NP317 »

This is a 1964-built cold-molded wood seventeen foot Thistle sailboat, changed to steam power.
It came from Michigan where it was auctioned in 2015. It was in poor condition, to be nice.
The purchaser had it shipped to Port Ludlow, WA, where he performed his craftsman restoration magic.
He unfortunately died suddenly in March, never getting it into the water.
It's my turn to continue the process.

The power plant is a mid-1960s Blackstaff-Wood ~2 h.p. small boat steeple compound engine and a hybrid water-tube boiler. They are fairly famous in steam boat circles.
Blackstaff-Wood made 32 of these steam plants, and I now have two! A Rev 1 (this one pictured) and a Rev 2, for sale now.
(The other one is now for sale, unrestored but running on air, along with a fiberglass 16' Poulsbo hull, trailer, etc.)

This boat restoration included a new boiler identical to the original one, an engine rebuild, and a complete refinishing of the hull.
My interest in this particular boat is the Thistle heritage. Our familt buily Thistle in 1960 and I grew up racing and sailing it, eventually owning it for 20+ years.
I always thought they would make excellent steam launches with their classic plumb bow and planing hull. And this one showed up.
I could not resist. It is about 90% restored, so I will have several months of work to get her steam-worthy.
I'm looking forward to that, after a surgery-recovery delay...
~RN
boatschool.jpeg
NP317

Post by NP317 »

As for renaming the boat, I would certainly like to do that, but it will keep its name for now, to honor the family that was building it. Their request.
Comes with the territory.

Another shot of the power plant.
P1040027.jpeg
Old boiler.
P1040022.jpeg
~RN
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

Very nice. I love plumb bow launches but never thought about a Thistle conversion. I cut my teeth on a Lightning.
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
Doug_Edwards

Post by Doug_Edwards »

Nice looking project.

Is a canopy in the plans? That way you could operate it for more than a couple of days in the Oregon summer!

D.
http://www.precisionlocomotivecastings.com/
Building a 70 ton Willamette in 1.6"
Building a 80 ton Climax in 1.6"

"Aim to improve!"
"Mine is not to question why, mine is just to tool and die"
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Doug_Edwards wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 10:39 am Nice looking project.

Is a canopy in the plans? That way you could operate it for more than a couple of days in the Oregon summer!

D.
HAHAHA!
Probably not. I have no fear of getting wet in a Thistle.
I wonder if I will need hiking straps?...
~RN
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Fred_V wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 8:09 am Very nice. I love plumb bow launches but never thought about a Thistle conversion. I cut my teeth on a Lightning.
Ah. Lightnings. Nice sedate boats by comparison to Thistles.
But I know from experience that if sailed in heavy enough winds, they will plane too!
We used to water-camp with a Family who had a Lightning. Great times and memories.

A Steam Thistle should be ideal.
~RN
RONALD

Post by RONALD »

The late Tom Stockton who lived in AnnArbor and taught the NAMES Steam Course for many years was into Steam Launches, could this possibly be one of his creations.

He had been a research engineer for Ford, and was a brilliant, witty, guy, and one of the founders of NAMES.

I have two copies of his manual on the fundamentals of steam engineering; took his course twice when he taught it at the Riverside & Great Northern in the Wisconsin Dells.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Ronald:
I do do not yet know the provenance of my steam Thistle.
With shoulder surgery coming next Tuesday, I expect to have time to dedicate to such research. DOWN time...

I am interested in the boats history. I know of 2 other Thistles converted to steam, but neither associated with Tom Stockton's name.
I have contacted the Thistle Class Association and had them put a query in their semi-monthly publication "The Bagpipe."
At least now I will be able to supply pictures for more research. With the boat, I got a picture of it in an earlier life, and the hull was black. Sort of evil looking...

SOMEONE knows.
And I will continue finishing my small Mikado. I got it's cab done except for the white pin-striping.
~RN