Water quick-disconnects for tender/loco

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Bill Shields

Re: Water quick-disconnects for tender/loco

Post by Bill Shields »

another option are paint ball gun quick disconnects...stainless steel, no valving...low cost...good for very high pressure
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
cbrew

Post by cbrew »

I just using quick disconnects used in the paint ball world, they are 1/8 npt with a open path (no checks).
and 1/4 ID fuel injection line that can be had at any autoparts store. it looks just like Russ's (NP317) setup above.
IMG_20180331_143457.jpg
IMG_20180330_150351.jpg
If it is not live steam. its not worth it.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

If I remember correctly, I used automotive fuel injection line tubing.
It is flexible, inert to chemicals it might encounter, internally reinforced, and can take the pressure of hydrostatic pressure test of the boiler, using the tender hand pump.
And it is available in various diameters. You can see the 6.3 mm designation on the side.
I will need to visit The Shop for more details.
~RN
Builder01

Post by Builder01 »

I like the idea of paint ball gun quick disconnects. They look pretty small, what is the distance across the flats of the hex? I can't seem to find a spec for this on the net. Currently, I am just using cone unions I made myself, with a nipple on one end for the rubber hose. The downside is, of course, I need a 7/16" wrench every time I remove my tender/riding car from my loco.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

.5625 A/F
Builder01

Post by Builder01 »

Thanks Bill!! - David
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

Builder01 wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:26 pm I like the idea of paint ball gun quick disconnects. They look pretty small, what is the distance across the flats of the hex? I can't seem to find a spec for this on the net. Currently, I am just using cone unions I made myself, with a nipple on one end for the rubber hose. The downside is, of course, I need a 7/16" wrench every time I remove my tender/riding car from my loco.
Machine the cone to take an o-ring then they are finger tight.
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
Builder01

Post by Builder01 »

Fred_V wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:58 am
Builder01 wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:26 pm I like the idea of paint ball gun quick disconnects. They look pretty small, what is the distance across the flats of the hex? I can't seem to find a spec for this on the net. Currently, I am just using cone unions I made myself, with a nipple on one end for the rubber hose. The downside is, of course, I need a 7/16" wrench every time I remove my tender/riding car from my loco.
Machine the cone to take an o-ring then they are finger tight.
Maybe I'll attempt to modify one of my cone unions for an O ring. Might be easier to modify what I already have.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

:P carry lots of extra 0-rings with you :shock:
Builder01

Post by Builder01 »

Bill, does the O ring solution seem like it will fail? What does the possible failure mode look like? Just thinking out loud. - David
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

failure is from dropping the o-ring on the ground and not having a spare.

properly done, o-rings work just fine...but ALWAYS have a few spares on hand. Even the o-rings in Joe Tansky's fittings (Joe doesn't make them)...occasionally 'get cut' and leak air and can cause problems as a result.

I always carry spares and a dental pick to get them in / out. (another DON'T LEAVE HOME WITHOUT IT tool)
Builder01

Post by Builder01 »

Okay, I get it. Part of my tool box kit that I bring with me to the track, includes extra O rings of every size used on my loco. I think the trick will be to make a groove in the cone that is deep enough so the ring does not stick out too much, and yet is still tight enough to remain in the groove. Yes, spares in the tool box for sure! Might be able to replace the nut with a knurled sort of ring. Hmmm......