DianneB Passing

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

BarryS

DianneB Passing

Post by BarryS »

Dianne Best who posted on various Chaski forums as DianneB passed away on July 19. Dianne had many interests including private pilot, airplane restorer, steam traction engine operator, avid motorcyclist, RC modeler of helicopters, boats, and submarines, cowboy action shooting participant, figure skater, builder of a 1/2 scale Russel steam tractor, restorer of an old Oliver crawler, etc. Members of this list will know her as a builder of a 1/8 scale City of Winnipeg street car as well as for her 7.5” gauge propane fired American locomotive.

Dianne and I both worked for Manitoba Hydro and I knew her for about 30 years through our work and mutual interest in the Live steam hobby as members of the Manitoba Live Steamers. She was a unique individual. For the last few years she served as president of the MLS which was her home Live Steam/Model Engineering club. We have lost a talented unique individual.
Glenn Brooks

Re: DianneB Passing

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Very sorry to hear this news. Always enjoyed her posts here on Chaski. Dianne was a very talented and accomplished person. Will miss her contributions.

Glenn B.
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
Benjamin Maggi

Post by Benjamin Maggi »

How sad. I know her website indicated she was struggling with and perhaps overcame all of the plumbing challenges on her Little Engines' American.
"One cannot learn to swim without getting his feet wet." - Benjamin Maggi
- Building: 7.25" gauge "Sweet Pea" named "Catherine"
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Very sorry to read this.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
Bill C

Post by Bill C »

I’m sad to hear the news as well. Appreciate you letting us know about her background and interests. Condolences to her family.

Bill
Sandiapaul

Post by Sandiapaul »

Too bad I know her from here and Smokstak which I read. So sorry to hear.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

I am saddened by her departure. My condolences to her family.

I enjoyed reading her website and things like the restoration of the little buldozer.

Her posts were enjoyable - she asked very good questions. Someone once told me that it's more important to have all the questions than to have all the answers.

Steve
Dick_Morris

Post by Dick_Morris »

Sad to lose her.
K. Browers

Post by K. Browers »

When I read the thread title I said oh no out loud...So sorry to hear this sad news.. While I never directly communicated with her I truly enjoyed her posts and can do attitude. She will be missed. My deepest condolences to her family and friends.
Karel
jcbrock

Post by jcbrock »

I didn't want to read this, Barry. I'd hoped to meet Dianne sometime at the St Croix, I'm equally at fault for never making it to MLS (yet). When reading her interests you've listed, I know I've missed some conversations that would have been very enjoyable. Condolences to all of you who knew her well.
John Brock
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

pete

Post by pete »

I'm more than a little sorry to read this. Dianne was certainly an asset to these forums.