Chula Vista Live Steamers 45th Fall Meet

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Mr_Blonde

Chula Vista Live Steamers 45th Fall Meet

Post by Mr_Blonde »

Hi All,

If you are in the San Diego area this Labor Day weekend, CVLS is having their 45th Fall meet. We will start setting up Thursday, August 29th, and end the festivities on the following Monday. Our main loop has been redone and our expansion loop is operational thanks to our dedicated small team of volunteers.

We will have night runs most nights, and Saturday evening we will have a catered lunch of tacos from Rodeo market ($15 per person).

We do have a registration fee of $5 to cover expenses for the festivities.

Please see the flyer for details on how to get to the park.

If you are interested in attending, please let us know by emailing slewis100@cox.net or call (619) 208-9187

The flier we have has font too small, so I will post the print here:

Thursday August 29th
Set up for the weekend festivities, unloading equipment, track work as needed, private train operation and night
operation

Friday August 30th
Private train operation and night operation, track work as needed

Saturday August 31th
Public operation 12pm to 2:30pm
Taco dinner with dessert potluck. Cost per person is $15.00 at 5:00 pm
Private Train Operation and Night Run

Sunday September 1st
Public Operation 12pm to 2:30pm
Private Train Operation and Night Run

Monday Labor Day September 2nd
Final Train Operation, Pack up, go home by noon.

International Brotherhood of Live Steam standards.

We use radios at CVLS. If you have one, bring it with you. We will have the channel we use available at registration.
We will also have the frequency numbers avalable for that channel. Conductors and Engineers should refrain from
cell phone use while operating your train and at the station.

There is a $5.00 Registration fee that helps fund the porta pottys and other neccesities needed for the weekend
festivities.

Camping: Self contained units please contact Scott Lewis (slewis100@cox.net) or call (619) 208-9187 as soon as
possible. There is limited space. Tent Camping is available. Hotels near by are the Comfort Inn and La Quinta Inn
by Bonita Road near the 805. Several more are located by E Street along the 5.
Welcome to the Fall Meet for Chula Vista Live Steamers. The following operation orders will be in effect for this
meet.

• All Locomotives with a train shall have a conductor. Every train will have a red safety flag and conductors
will have a whistle. When stopping anywhere, other than locked sidings, conductors are to protect the rear
of the train. Remember, there will be many locomotives and trains running, please be courteous with others
and please pay attention.

• Yard leads need to be cleared at all times, no stopping and parking on these leads. Please have the
switches aligned for the yard leads so trains can got thru to back into yard sidings and spurs.

• Rohr Park is a public park, which requires that all switches (except the yard switches) be locked at all times.
If you need to unlock a switch to go into a siding, please relock the switch in the position you found it.
Switch keys will be available at the Registration desk.

• The expansion loop is open to everyone. There maybe a switchman at the switch during the Public Run
period (12:00 noon to 2:30PM, Saturday and Sunday). If you want to use the expansion loop, notify the
switchman and stationmaster via radio that you will be on the loop. Public Run passenger trains will not be
using the expansion loop for this meet. Public Run trains have the right away at the expansion crossover,
please use caution. Radio the stationmaster and switchman when returning to the main from the loop.

• If you want to provide rides to your guests, please use the gazebo 7 siding to load and unload your guests.

• Station operation during the Public Run. All public trains will load and unload passengers on the station
lead. Servicing Steam locomotives will occur at the Station lead #2. There are air operated control switches
that control for access to these tracks. Stop at the control switch prior to entering the station to confirm
your train is going to the right track.

• Should you need assistance please contact the acting trainmaster.
Attachments
CVLS.JPG
DL3762

Re: Chula Vista Live Steamers 45th Fall Meet

Post by DL3762 »

CVLS was the first club my father and I attended. Scott Lewis was actually the one who got us into the live steam hobby. The main loop isn't huge, but I remember the expansion loop being much longer than it appeared. I also remember the catered tacos being amazing.

Did anything ever come of the interlocking at the expansion crossover? I think we still have the original signal heads with us in a box somewhere. Not sure where the control panels we made ultimately ended up.
*Real Trains Plymouth Industrial Locomotive - Electric Version
Information is useless unless shared.
JTolan

Post by JTolan »

Can I give 5 bucks in person? Intending on bringing the climax.
optigman

Post by optigman »

As I recall that is when I have always paid the "fun" fee! Just find the registration booth and they will trade your $5 for a guest badge I think. Always a good group of people at Chula Vista. :D
Mr_Blonde

Post by Mr_Blonde »

Jeff,

You can pay in person.

Kyle
Zach_Jones

Post by Zach_Jones »

I went on the Saturday of the meet with a group from OCME and had a great time. CVLS and Scott Lewis did an amazing job.
Member of the Orange County Model Engineers
Steve Alley

Post by Steve Alley »

I just want to say, I had a wonderful time at there meet. Great people. Sam and his Dad the new president are great people. Scotty Lewis great man this club has and does watches out for everyone.Scott does the work of four people and has a handle on what is going on. Amazing man your club has. For a park Club layout its nice. Unlike most club tracks the high ability to have it in a park and dealing with public and the city for such a long time. They have it work out very nicely. You all should be proud of this and its history, witch I did. Great people and for those that have not visit or run there you should. 9 hr drive from Nevada where I am located. I think Washington is further but this to is on the list to see and visit. Good reason to go to these spots is if clubs place a order and works around one of there bigger meets. I would load up and go. I do charge for freight do to tax reasons but its low compare to Trucking Freight. Thank You all for your great meet at CVLS And Thank you for having me. Plus I am a member now.
Steve Alley
Allen Models
West coast rep
Accu-tie
Santafescotty60

Post by Santafescotty60 »

Thanks for the kind words and visiting our meet, it was great to meet you in person, I am so glad that you as a person took up the task of carrying on the Allen Models name.
I would hope this mind set rubs off on the youngsters coming into the hobby it seams to work for me, Tis true the more you give the more you get back always keep moving forward kind words and a smile will get you to better places.
Santafescotty60

Post by Santafescotty60 »

:D the pipes and boxes get hooked up once in a while with different heads fun at night miss you guys
DL3762 wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:32 am CVLS was the first club my father and I attended. Scott Lewis was actually the one who got us into the live steam hobby. The main loop isn't huge, but I remember the expansion loop being much longer than it appeared. I also remember the catered tacos being amazing.

Did anything ever come of the interlocking at the expansion crossover? I think we still have the original signal heads with us in a box somewhere. Not sure where the control panels we made ultimately ended up.