injector problem--update

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

hoppercar

injector problem--update

Post by hoppercar »

thanks to everyone who gave me ideas to try on the stubborn injector, that would mis fire all the time. I tried running water on all hose connections, to see if there was a leak, didn't help.....then I swapped positions, with the injector that works and is reliable. ..the problem followed the injector, and the one that worked, worked fine in the other position. so I think that pretty much eliminated any plumbing problem ?.....decided to take the injector apart again....before removing the delivery cone, i shook it, and could not here the washer move.....seemed like the check washer was just a fuzz tight on the cone. ..I polished the i.d. of the washer by hand with some 1000 grit crocus paper...and polished up the stem it slides on , on the delivery cone. after putting it back together, I could definitely here the washer moving now. fired up this weekend, crossed my fingers, turn on the water, turn on the steam, it has good flow from priming, start cutting back the water....and zoooooommm.....off it goes like a champ. ..I'd say now it starts 99 percent of the time. thanks, to all for the help
NP317

Re: injector problem--update

Post by NP317 »

Another job well done!
RN
Jacob's dad

Post by Jacob's dad »

That is the same problem we had as described in this thread at the bottom. The problem we had was both new injectors were doing it so there wasn't any swapping one to the other side. It wasn't until a friend gave me some information from his injector that we were able to measure the items and make them work.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=108580&sid=bdeed098 ... 4&start=12
Trainman4602

Post by Trainman4602 »

When an injector is not working the first thing to check is the check washer also the ridge should be facing up. I have made quite a few of this over the years and you could have at least a .001 clearance to the delivery cone.

The next thing to check would be the supply water valve. If the valve body is not submerged in the tank check the bonnet to see if the stem is leaking. This condition will cause a vacuum leak and injector failure.

The third and most common problem would be if the tender is empty.
ALLWAYS OPERATING MY TRAIN IN A SAFE MANNER USING AUTOMATIC AIR BRAKES
Mountaineer

Post by Mountaineer »

I've been guilty of problem #3....

Mountaineer
kenrinc

Post by kenrinc »

Yup, been there. I have to take mine apart the day before each run otherwise I'll be doing it at the track. I've talked to many who pressurize their boilers after running and then open the steam valve to the injector to blow out the residual water which seems to help with this issue.

Ken-