Cylinder Borning

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

FRED DADDI

Re: Cylinder Borning

Post by FRED DADDI »

FRED DADDI wrote:Thank you all and sorry for posting in the wrong spot. [IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201912 ... 3e6502.jpg[/IMG]. Big cylinder little mill. I will be doing a cross slide project I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Got my Craftsman with a big south bend t slot cross slide in the box of tooling it should be a quick project if i dont scrap it.

FRED DADDI

Post by FRED DADDI »

[IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201912 ... efb6bb.jpg[/IMG]

Builder01

Post by Builder01 »

I don't have T slots in my lathe cross feed either. I drilled and tapped a few holes for my clamps. I have also used those holes several times over. Should have done it sooner! Needless to say, I used my lathe as a horizontal boring mill with automatic feed. Worked great! - David
DSCN0790.JPG
DSCN0793.JPG
Asteamhead

Post by Asteamhead »

Hello friends,
Did it the same way, worked great!
Just one more idea to make turning a bit easier: Clamping the bore tool by means of a four yaw with individual adustment, you may fine adjust the turning diameter very precisely :idea: .

Asteamhed
Attachments
A cylinder, drilling the housing for the valve liners. Fine adjust by means of the 4 yaws
A cylinder, drilling the housing for the valve liners. Fine adjust by means of the 4 yaws
A cylinder, ddrilling the housing for the cyl. liners
A cylinder, ddrilling the housing for the cyl. liners
RONALD

Post by RONALD »

Here I am in 1971 using a relatively new (1968) Bridgeport and a Bridgeport Boring Head to bore all four cylinders of a cast iron casting purchased from Little Engines for their 0-6-0.

A DRO would have helped in locating each center, but there was no such thing in 1971, that I knew of; had to just carefully count the dial turns.

Why everything that is supposed to be gray has changed color to tan may be due to it being 48 year old Polaroid?
1971 2.jpg
jkimberln

Post by jkimberln »

In my mind, there is no point going out of your way to do the boring precise to plan. It really doesn't matter much since all can be corrected later. I have bored cylinders on the lathe both on the saddle and clamped on a four jaw. The finish is always rough and almost never to plan exactly. But later, I take the cylinders to a shop with a Sunnen hone. Perfect bore in no time and diameters perpendicular to the cross head end, bore parallel, etc. My initial boring is meant to get all the cylinders to within about 0.005" of each other, then hone to blueprint or match. Pistons and rings made later to fit the bore.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

what's the face - to - face of the cylinder?
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

RONALD wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:46 pm
Why everything that is supposed to be gray has changed color to tan may be due to it being 48 year old Polaroid?
Yup.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

jkimberln wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:27 pm diameters perpendicular to the cross head end, bore parallel, etc. My initial boring is meant to get all the cylinders to within about 0.005" of each other, then hone to blueprint or match. Pistons and rings made later to fit the bore.
It should be noted that bore location is not significantly altered by honing, the only change being the slight change if the bore was not straight before starting the honing process, which would yield a bore that averages any existing error. So then, what one should take away from this is that the finish bore will be only as good as the preliminary work in regards to orientation. Honing will not improve that condition. If you hope to have the bore perpendicular to the ends, and parallel with the mounting surface, it must be that way before honing.

I agree that honing is the ultimate process for sizing and providing a decent finish and truly round and straight bores.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.