Tubing for Smoke Box

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

FLtenwheeler

Tubing for Smoke Box

Post by FLtenwheeler »

I am looking for a piece of tubing/pipe to make my smoke box. The OD is 85" that scales to 11.333" OD. Do they make 11-1/2" steel tubing?

Thanks

Tim
He who dies with the most unfinished projects: Should of put more time into their hobby.
hoppercar

Re: Tubing for Smoke Box

Post by hoppercar »

Yes...contact alro steel...1 888 888 alro.......they have seamless dom tubing.that size in several different wall thickness
FLtenwheeler

Post by FLtenwheeler »

hoppercar wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:54 pm Yes...contact alro steel...1 888 888 alro.......they have seamless dom tubing.that size in several different wall thickness
Thanks

11-1/2 OD X .500 WALL 10.50 ID,A513-T5 DOM TUBE
He who dies with the most unfinished projects: Should of put more time into their hobby.
hoppercar

Post by hoppercar »

I think.thats the same size I.used
KarlKobel

Post by KarlKobel »

IIRC mine is 12", but I believe they have sizes in 1/4" increments (up to a certain diameter).

A word of caution:
I cut mine in half to allow clear access to the components within (my throttle is in the smokebox even though the prototype has a steam dome throttle).
I didn't stress relieve it before I had it cut using wire EDM and it started spreading apart before it was cut all the way through. I had to rig up a clamping system and heat it up to get it round again.

Karl
www.karlkobel.com/unsorted/Smokebox/index2.html