Greetings - new to hobby & group

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

KingOfToyzz

Greetings - new to hobby & group

Post by KingOfToyzz »

Hey there,

I have just jumped in over my head. I am awaiting delivery of a 38 lb, 30 inch long (minus tender) Little Engiens 4-6-2 Pacific locomotive. I'll be looking for advice and pointers over the next few months (read years). If anyone has ANY info on 1/2" scale, or you might know it as 1/24th, I'd especially love to hear from you.

Right now I am researching the tools needed to begin this.

Thanks in advance,

Kent
willjordan

Re: Greetings - new to hobby & group

Post by willjordan »

Welcome to the group.

Read the old posts and you'll pick up things about the group, its experise, and its sense of humor.

This is a lot like the break room down at the shop. We talk shop a lot, but other things come up as well.

If you are not a machinist now, you may well be one before you finish the Pacific.

My personal recommendation is that you find a good, used American made lathe, in a size larger than you think you need. A 9-10" South Bend or Atlas would be a good bet. For milling, a milling attachment for the lathe should meet your requirements. A good drill press would serve you well.

Now if you have lots of money, there are other options, but this is a good start.

Have fun!
grace & peace
will

[url=http://willjordan.com]Will's Web Pages[/url]
Dick_Morris

Post by Dick_Morris »

Welcome. Did you know that this locomotive was described in a construction article in the '30s in (I think) Model Craftsman? If you don't have a copy of the book that's a reprint of the articles, LE should be able to supply it. There is also someone who sells copies on Ebay, but my suspician is that they are photocopies and that LE doesn't get anything for their investment.
UnkaJesse

Post by UnkaJesse »

Hang in there Kent and don't get discouraged. I spent 15 years on my first locomotive RRSC American (got distracted by antique gas engines for a while), but only two or three months on my copy of the Falk #1(see attachment). Now working on my 5th locomotive, the "Newbie Project" in 1-1/2" scale.

Unka( just a little bit crazy)Jesse
"The same hammer that breaks the glass, forges the steel" Russian proverb