Never seize in lieu of pipe dope

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Glenn Brooks

Never seize in lieu of pipe dope

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Anybody use Neverseize in lieu of pipe dope in the smoke box?

Iam having trouble finding high temp pipe sealant in any of the local hardware stores... Neverseize has an excellent temp range, but can’t find anything else about serviceability. E.g does it stand up to steam, or just wash out of NPT threads?

Thanks
Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
ChipsAhoy

Re: Never seize in lieu of pipe dope

Post by ChipsAhoy »

Glenn:
I don't know if you will find an antiseize that is a good sealant, but Loctite makes several sealants that are high temp resistant. Long ago and faraway, we used Loctite59235 and 483629. Don't know the cost as the pipeline bought it, but I've seen it in small quantities.... try Amazon.
Scotty
BTW, sold N3032G a few years back... several of us solo'd in it..... what a blast!
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

WHAT!

Tell me more. The last time I flew 3032golf was around 1979 in Anchorage! I heard it was latter wrecked down in Alyeska during a hard handing on a gravel strip.

Where did you find it and how did you Know it was my old plane?? Amazing. (Old log books maybe)

Glenn

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

RET

Post by RET »

Hi Glenn,

For pipe threads, I use teflon tape. It doesn't take a lot and it works.

I custom make a lot of my fittings. That way I can fit them into smaller spaces and they look better. Custom made superheater headers, internal smokebox piping, all of these will benefit from a custom design. I don't use very many pipe fittings; they thend to take up too much space and its difficult to get the fitting to face the proper way. An extra turn may be too tight, while forgoing that extra turn may be too loose.

Clear silicon seal is perfect for sealing in the smoke box. It forms and sticks to metal surfaces and once it cures, there are no leaks. You could also use it in place of pipe dope. Silicone seal also stands up to smokebox temperatures and is easily removed if you ever need to. It is also cheap and readily available. As I said, perfect.

Hope this helps.

Richard Trounce.
ChipsAhoy

Post by ChipsAhoy »

Glenn Brooks wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:49 pm WHAT!

Tell me more. The last time I flew 3032golf was around 1979 in Anchorage! I heard it was latter wrecked down in Alyeska during a hard handing on a gravel strip.

Glenn
Nope, it was never wrecked, we did bend up a few, but not her. Only thing I did to it was to strip all the old paint off and polished it all silver.
Go to GIGGLE and type in N3032G.
Do you remember who you sold (or traded) it to?
Scotty
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

I have a plumber who prefers the liquid sealant (white goop) to the tape. He feels that it does a better job of filling in and sealing.

Never seez is not a sealer, so my guess is that it would eventually leak (but it would be real easy to get the fitting apart!).

Steve
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

lots of plumbers use white goop on gas / water lines....but really is not the best stuff for steam service...
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

Take a look at Key Graphite Paste. This stuff is rated to 750°F. McMaster has it: https://www.mcmaster.com/thread-sealants
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Scotty,

Sorry, can’t remember who I sold it to. The date had to be around ‘75-‘76, in Anchorage- tie down at Merrill Field. It was involved in some kind of non injury accident at the Alyeska air strip a couple of years latter and sustained enuf damage to be non flyable. Shortly thereafter, I heard the owner lost title in a poker game. I just assumed it was scrapped, and still laying around somewhere as an old broken bird. I see the FAA has another record of it crashing in Whittier in 2001. So clearly it has had some excellent care, to have been rebuilt twice. In the second incident, The pilot, who refused to identify himself, tried to land at the Whittier airport in 4’ of snow. Flipped it over and damaged one wing, landing gear, some other parts. The incident report relates a local WPD officer discovered it upside down the next day and tracked down the occupants at the hotel. Apparently they got out without being injured, and stayed in town (Whittier) without reporting. So clearly it’s had an interesting life, it’s sort of got 9 lives. well 6 lives left, at least.

Great little airplane. I bought it in Kodak in 1971 as a student pilot, and learned to fly out of kodiak muni. Before I purchased it, a bunch of skydivers used it to learn how to parachute. One guy at a time would fly, thepassenger would climb out the top of the window, skinny down the fuselage to the tail and jump off.

Kodiak Was one of the few places in the world where you had to land going down hill - and take off the same way. The approach over the town was to steep because of Pillar Mountain being in the way, so everyone made an east to west approach, regardless of winds. if you didn’t stop in time, you ran off the end of the runway and ended up in the lake. The run way had a steep gradient on the west end- closest to the town, and at the bottom you couldn’t see a plane landing on the other end, because of the grade. So takeoff was always taxi to the top of the hill, look around, taxi back to the bottom and gun it before anyone showed up.

I also had it up in Delta Junction a few years latter, then back to Anchorage where I finally sold it and bought a sailboat. I can personally attest the A/C will fly with one pilot and two full size caribou, with the passenger seat removed.

Fun times! Brings back a lot of memories!

Glenn

ChipsAhoy

Post by ChipsAhoy »

I bought it from you, altho we never met. At the time, if I remember right, you worked at Chugach electric, ML&P or some electric outfit, mebbe IBEW? We kept it for two years, several of us used it as a time builder out of Birchwood. Flew mostly around Palmer, Talkeetna, Kenai & Swentna. I sold it to a fellow who had a shop on the strip @ Birchwood across from Doyles. Went on from there to a Stinson 108-3.
Scotty
FLSTEAM

Post by FLSTEAM »

back to the topic. Never seize works fine on tapered pipe thread. NPT and MPT are interference fits which means self sealing. Straight threads on the other hand not so much.

BTW most Dupont plants don't use Teflon tape because the little threads it creates get plugged in instruments.

JB
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

FLSTEAM wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:32 am back to the topic. Never seize works fine on tapered pipe thread. NPT and MPT are interference fits which means self sealing. Straight threads on the other hand not so much.

BTW most Dupont plants don't use Teflon tape because the little threads it creates get plugged in instruments.

JB
NPT is good enough for plumbing but try using it undoped in a hydraulic system.

Use dry seal for gases and high pressures.