Steam Locomotive model drawings

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Dick_Morris

Re: Steam Locomotive model drawings

Post by Dick_Morris »

Maybe you could start a second list of non-steam locomotives? I found this 2010 post by John Grant to the Live Steam email group.
Dick Thomas and I built the first pair of the electric locomotives and then encouraged Andy Morrison to start a group to build about 25
copies

Dick and I use few plans so I loaned my loco to the Andy's group so that they could talk it part and make detail drawings. Glen McGhee was suppling copies of the plans for a very low price.

Lately I have been using open gears rather than the expensive gear boxes. That has worked out very well.

John Grant

It was in response to a post by me.
As many of you will recall, the Valley Live Steamers (I think) did some group projects. One was the Baldwin Steeple Cab electric and I
believe theother was a Consolidation steamer.
There was an article on these in Live Steam, but it wasn't a construction article.
FKreider

Post by FKreider »

It will be great to have this all recorded somewhere!

William H Morewood designed the Raritan 3/4" Scale 3.5" gauge.

Castings currently available from Joe Tanski.
-Frank K.
Dick_Morris

Post by Dick_Morris »

3-1/2" Canadian 0-8-0 switcher, "Caribou." Martin Evans. A book and drawings is or was available. (I have both, anyone looking for copies?)

Gerry Penrose wrote a construction article in Live Steam on Buffalo (I think that was the name), an unauthorized 0-6-0 adaptation of the design.
Dick_Morris

Post by Dick_Morris »

Wasn't Moody Braun responsible for adapting the LE Pacific into LE's new Northern and Hudson?

Winton Brown marketed a 1-1/2 gauge 2-6-0 and 2-8-0. I always assumed he was the designer but could be wrong.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Dick_Morris wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:07 am 3-1/2" Canadian 0-8-0 switcher, "Caribou." Martin Evans. A book and drawings is or was available. (I have both, anyone looking for copies?)

Gerry Penrose wrote a construction article in Live Steam on Buffalo (I think that was the name), an unauthorized 0-6-0 adaptation of the design.
You are correct about this. LS mag discontinued the series prior to completion
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
hoppercar

Post by hoppercar »

I dont see little engines on.the list
Berkman

Post by Berkman »

Wasn't there also a LE 2-8-0 offered at one time using 0-6-0/2-6-0 parts?
dwilloughby

Post by dwilloughby »

The 0-4-2- Chloe was reverse engineered by Gene Allen from John Noble's locomotive.
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

As far as I know, LE never offered an 'official' 2-8-0 locomotive. It had been talked about, but I never saw anything other than a prototype. Maybe Mike V. can comment further on that. However, there have been several examples built using their 0-4-0/0-6-0/2-6-0 parts, and it does indeed make a really awesome Consolidation, with those big cylinders. My 2-10-0 uses these parts and it has all the power it can lay down, even at a weight of near 800 lbs.
dnevil

Post by dnevil »

Harlock wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:16 pm I guess a big question is, are you looking for currently available plans or also historical? If currently available then some of these ideas can get crossed off.
Good question. I'm looking for models of American prototypes where it is known that drawings are in existence, either commercially or in private hands. The idea is to provide a list of possible locomotives that can be built by obtaining the drawings.

Daris
Daris Nevil
IBLS Secretary
North American Region
http://www.ibls.org
dnevil

Post by dnevil »

hoppercar wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:45 am I dont see little engines on.the list
Yea, that's a tricky one. The former owner threatened to sue me for using the name of the company. So I systematically removed all references from the IBLS website. I don't think that they have a legal standing, but since this is all done for free I'd hate to get tangled in a nasty drawn out lawsuit that I would have to pay for out of my own pocket.

I don't think it is difficult for anyone to find out about those drawings.

Daris
Daris Nevil
IBLS Secretary
North American Region
http://www.ibls.org
Dick_Morris

Post by Dick_Morris »

You are correct about this. LS mag discontinued the series prior to completion
My recollection is that there was a several month hiatus in publishing the 0-6-0 design while the legalities were worked out. In the end, the series started again but Live Steam carried ads for Model Engineer for the duration of the series. In one of the first articles, Penrose stated that the design was based on the forgotten (or words to that effect) design for Caribou. I was surprised that the statement didn't raise red flags with Bill Fitt and cause him to ask questions about ownership of the design before publishing.