2 1/2 in. Heisler

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Gardiner

2 1/2 in. Heisler

Post by Gardiner »

Fellow modellers,

I am building a 2 1/2" scale model of a twenty ton Heisler, using Nelson Reidel's plans for the running gear and Kozo Hiraokas plans for the rest of the locomotive.[ What happened to Nelson his web site is no longer active? ] I am having a problem figuring how to lubricate the crosshead and crosshead bearing. All other other bearing points are lubricated with grease nipples or oil cups. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
The advice you sent on tube sheets the other day was very helpful, as was fabricating mine at the time.

Thanks John G. Smith
Soot n' Cinders

Re: 2 1/2 in. Heisler

Post by Soot n' Cinders »

I would think maybe a 90* zerk fitting and grease the wrist pins. As for the crosshead guides, with that 45* angle making things trickier, maybe just one big cup on the upper part of each guide and let gravity deal with getting the oil onto the lower guide surface.
As for Nelson Riedel, I can still see his website, just doesn’t look like it’s been updated in a while. What I’ve heard through the grapevine is he’s scaling back. If I remember right, he sold his shay.

Please share some pictures of the Heisler as it shapes up! Maybe start a build log thread. Would be cool to pair the 20ton Heisler up with some of the 20ton Buckwalter shays out there like mine.
-Tristan

Projects
-2.5" scale Class A 20 Ton Shay

Steam Siphon: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/leavitt ... tive-works
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

Gardiner wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:50 pm ...
[ What happened to Nelson his web site is no longer active? ]
Works for me: https://nelsonslocomotive.com
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
Lineshaft14

Post by Lineshaft14 »

Been working on a 37 ton NG Heisler too. Do you have photos of your project. Thanks, Dave