NJ/NYC/LI Machinery Movers

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

jlakes85

NJ/NYC/LI Machinery Movers

Post by jlakes85 »

Hi Guys,

Can anyone recommend a machinery mover that they've used in the tri-state area? Machine in question is a 17× 60 ish lathe. 5-6k lbs. Thanks again

Regards,

John
MsChrissi

Re: NJ/NYC/LI Machinery Movers

Post by MsChrissi »

Sometimes listed under "Riggers"
ChuckHackett-844

Post by ChuckHackett-844 »

I recently moved a 4,000 pound Haas MiniMill and found it was lots cheaper to rent a forklift and trailer. I had contacted a rigger in the area to just lift it off my trailer and place it 30 feet away inside the garage door and they wanted $1,700 - seems riggers do not want to bother with moves involving residential property. I rented a 6,000 pound capacity forklift for $700 and that included delivery and pickup.
Regards,

Chuck Hackett, UP Northern 844, Mich-Cal Shay #2
Owner, MiniRail Solutions, LLC, RR Signal Systems (http://www.MiniRailSolutions.com)
"By the work, One knows the workman"
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Most of the auctions I go to around here, the machinery mover is Pedowitz.

I've never used them because everything I've bought could be hand carried, but I did ask them about moving a South Bend heavy 10 and thought the price was reasonable.

They can move ANYTHING.

One auction had a Pratt & Whitney lathe that was 48" swing and was probably 10' or more bend length, all in one piece.

When I asked "How do you move something like that?", the guy deadpanned "VERY slowly".

Steve
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

A local shop owner recommended Pedowitz and also Mims.

https://pedowitz.com
http://mimsriggers.com

Steve
MsChrissi

Post by MsChrissi »

We've moved a Bridgeport with a small Bobcat with forks, no problem.
We've put two lathes (one large CNC 12x36) in the basement (lucky enough to have concrete basement stairs from garage) using an engine hoist, planks, car dollies and ropes tied to trailer hitch. The big deal is always the lifting, a gantry or fork lift can be rented.
Always have a contingency to get out of the way.
rrnut-2

Post by rrnut-2 »

Just recently, I had to have a Haas TM1. ~6000lbs, shipped to a rigger in Manchester, NH, since I nothing at home to unload a truck with something that heavy. Then the rigger delivered it to my shop and placed it in position; all for about $1700. I thought that was reasonable.

Jim B
MsChrissi

Post by MsChrissi »

I can't recall but I know I have heard the $1700 figure here and other places several times. Interesting, like that is the going rate?
LIALLEGHENY

Post by LIALLEGHENY »

Yes, around $1700 is the going rate for something considered a half day job. I use Pedowitz for my rigging, very professional and most important, they are insured. Nothing worse than trying to do it yourself and dumping the machine over, which is very easy to do. There are other riggers in the Tri State area, Able, Metz ( cheapest) and others. I have also had a few smaller machines moved by towing companies....they just drag them up on a flatbed....again beware it's very easy to dump over a machine.

Nyle
jscarmozza

Post by jscarmozza »

John,
Give Hopatcong Rigging a call, they're located in Sparta NJ. I used them many years ago and they did a good job, since then the business changed hands, so I don't know how the new owner is to deal with. Without exception, the move always cost me more than the machine:)
John
MsChrissi

Post by MsChrissi »

Plus pushing and pulling on cast iron it is possible to crack or break a chunk off, is your move insured?
Sandiapaul

Post by Sandiapaul »

Pedowitz is good, also very good is Izzi

https://www.izzirigging.com/