1" Scale UP Northern and Other Locomotives

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Steve Bratina

1" Scale UP Northern and Other Locomotives

Post by Steve Bratina »

This was from a 1969 Model Railroader magazine. Wonder what happened to these engines or the guy?
Attachments
IMG_3269.JPG
ALCOSTEAM

Re: 1" Scale UP Northern and Other Locomotives

Post by ALCOSTEAM »

I do believe its his Big Boy 4019 and the Northern 844 that are now on display at the Colorado Railroad Museum in Golden. There are very nice pictures on the museum website of these two models . The article lists other models he built, possibly the museum has those or knows there whereabouts.

https://www.persistentvisionphotography ... ad-Museum/

The model pictures are down the page a bit.
Rob Gardner

Post by Rob Gardner »

If I can get the photos off my phone, I can post some pics I took of some of Howard's work that is indeed on display at CRRM. I saw them this summer. I believe the 844 and the Big Boy are on display there as well as a D&RGW 4-6-6-4. Very nice work but build largely out of wood and plastic. Static display models only.

Rob Gardner
JKreider

Post by JKreider »

You are correct Rob in that Herb Votah's models were made primarily of wood and plastic although some aluminum castings were used for things like the drivers. The models were designed to move so one could watch the action of the rods and valve gear.
I visited Herb on several occasions while in the Denver area and took movies of his models moving.
Herb was a very nice gentleman and passed away many years ago.

Jim Kreider