4-4-0 cab pic

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Patrik

4-4-0 cab pic

Post by Patrik »

Is there anybody who have picture on a 4-4-0 american cab. i gonna make a cab to microsoft train simulator.
Patrik
Dick_Morris

Re: 4-4-0 cab pic

Post by Dick_Morris »

Patrik,

I found a drawing of the backhead of an 1865 Rogers 4-4-0 in "A history of the American Locomotive: It's Development: 1830-1880" by John H. White. (An excellent book.)

The controls for a locomotive and their complexity are more related to the date than to the wheel arrangement. When the prototype for my CP-173 was built in 1872 (and when the Rogers locomotive was built), I would have expected it to have a throttle lever, Johnson bar, pressure gauge, water level gauge, tri cocks, whistle, bell, blower valve, a regulating valve for the crosshead pumps, and if an injector were fitter, an injector steam and feed water valve.

Locomotive brakes on the drivers were added later. To stop the train required the appropritate whistle signals and several brakemen who ran along the top of the cars setting and releasing the brakes. I also understand they placed the Johnson bar in reverse and opened the throttle slightly to slow a train - that's what I have to do on my CP-173 because I don't have the brakes fitted yet.

Train heat, electric lights and the steam turbin generator, air, brakes, and all the more modern accessories were in the future. I've seen what might be an automatic bell ringer in the prototype CP-173 photo, but couldn't prove that it's there. It would have been steam operated if it existed.