Wash my locomotive

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

doublereefed

Wash my locomotive

Post by doublereefed »

I've been working on my Allen Mogul in the garage. I've had it on it's side, had to grind a brass tab off... there's soot, ash, grime, filings, and junk all over the chassis, drivers, running gear, etc. I'd love to hose it down with pressurized kerosene or diesel, but that's out of the question. What can I use to clean it under pressure... on a drop cloth and absorbers on the front driveway? Simple Green comes to mind, but then what do you do to then make sure everything doesn't rust like crazy?

Thanks...
Harold_V

Re: Wash my locomotive

Post by Harold_V »

Hmmm. Not sure I'd use a pressure washer, as it has the potential to drive grit in to places where it is best not driven.
I can think of no way to clean something like an engine that won't subject fits to some risk of doing the same thing, although you should be able to minimize the problem by careful thinking and application of a solvent.

That said, have you given any consideration to using Stoddard Solvent (mineral spirits, paint thinner). It can be brush applied, with attention paid to stubborn areas. Once rinsed with clean solvent, it will dry virtually free of any contaminants, and it's relatively safe. While it burns, it is not easily ignited, unlike gasoline and its resulting fumes (I NEVER suggest gasoline be used for cleaning. NEVER!).

There's a distinct difference between solvents and fuel oils, many of which are often used for cleaning. The biggest difference that interests me is that the fuel oils tend to leave behind a residue that is slow to evaporate, and can take considerable time to do so, if at all. Stoddard Solvent is made for cleaning.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
ALCOSTEAM

Post by ALCOSTEAM »

A friends father used to own a mechanics shop. In there parts washers they used a product called Stanisol which I believe was just Stoddard solvent.. It was also fairly cheap if you brought your own containers to get it in bulk. Last I went to buy some it was no longer available they want to sell you prepackaged 5 and 55 gallong containers of what I was told is "modified" Naptha to use for cleaning. It works but does not seem to cut as well as the old Stanisol.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

I use steam to clean my locomotive.
The blow down valves have mini quick connectors on them that fit a small flexible steam hose with wooden handle and a 12" long brass "wand."
(Those same connectors fit the water hoses, and air input for cold fire-up. Versatile.)
At the end of my steaming day I simply use the boiler water/steam to clean the locomotive. I re-oil the bearings/moving parts after cleaning the loco.
'Never has a bearing problem in the 15 years of steaming, using this cleaning method.
We did this on full-sized logging locomotives, too. Just didn't take steam from the blow down valves!
RussN
Steam Engine Dan

Post by Steam Engine Dan »

doublereefed wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:03 am I've been working on my Allen Mogul in the garage. I've had it on it's side, had to grind a brass tab off... there's soot, ash, grime, filings, and junk all over the chassis, drivers, running gear, etc. I'd love to hose it down with pressurized kerosene or diesel, but that's out of the question. What can I use to clean it under pressure... on a drop cloth and absorbers on the front driveway? Simple Green comes to mind, but then what do you do to then make sure everything doesn't rust like crazy?

Thanks...
i use prep sol 3919S pictured below the engines to degrease the running gear and everything underneath the locomotive. I get it thru my auto mechanic for a good price. then I use Wd-40 for on top of the engines for everything else, boiler, cab, tender. also the prep sol is fantastic in cleaning the grease off the wheels and it does not leave a huge flammable mist like kerosene does. it is more environmentally friendly. and cuts grease and oil really well. I use it for my father's locomotive and a friend's engine and my work speaks for it's self. I will spend at least two full days cleaning each locomotive inside and out, top to bottom to have them spotlessly clean. the cleanest steam engines at our club. first photo is me on my father's Hudson and the 2nd is me with my friend's atlantic.
Attachments
1506869_10153312823778317_2589821976148107764_n.jpg
58694265_10156253842433317_7155165590989045760_o.jpg
prep-sol.jpg
prep-sol.jpg (11.81 KiB) Viewed 5666 times
Lovesthedrive

Post by Lovesthedrive »

Small areas Carb cleaner in a aerosol works well. You can get a syphon gun for an aircompressor if you wanted to spray it.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Guardair-12 ... /301827468
guardair-compressor-accessories-79sg012-64_1000.jpg
1969 MF 40 Industrial
Mike Walsh

Post by Mike Walsh »

At the WF&P I have used WD-40 to clean our locomotives over the years. Some use a form of hand cleaner (non-gritty), I cannot remember the brand, but that is a practice taken from the ATT&NW, as we have members that cross between organizations.

I like the WD40 for the stainless steel jacket on #534, and stick with same on the painted jackets on the other locomotives that I'm wiping down. Others use the hand cleaner. Personal preference, I guess.

For running gear, we wipe down rods, etc with paper towels. Sometimes I'll give it a quick squirt of WD40 to help get some of the last grease off, or just to shine it up. We generally don't clean the grime off as we run hard and often. Probably should.. but we have a bad habit of running til it breaks then we clean and fix.

On my equipment, I probably won't run that often, due to time constraints, so I'd probably spend more time tinkering and anytime I take anything apart, I clean it thoroughly. I can see myself spending the entire month(s) between runs taking pieces off of the locomotive and cleaning/polishing it. Maybe. We'll see, LOL. Have to finish it and get it running first!
doublereefed

Post by doublereefed »

Thanks all for the advice and tips.