Boiler Tube Question

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

SCBryan

Boiler Tube Question

Post by SCBryan »

I recently purchased a second hand boiler that was never used. It is steel with copper boiler tubes. Doing a quick check with low air pressure, I find some of the tubes are leaking. What is the best way to tighten them? Build a swaging device? Any suggestions appreciated.

Steve
Marty_Knox

Re: Boiler Tube Question

Post by Marty_Knox »

You are much better off buying or borrowing a real tube roller. Most live steam locomotives would use what is called a condenser roller. The two most prominent manufacturers are Elliott (Elliott-tool.com) and Thomas C. Wilson (TCWilson.com) company. You will need to know the OD of the tube and the wall thickness, measured in gauge. Lots of information on both websites.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

I second Marty's advice.
Do it correctly the first time. It costs less in the long run.
RussN
hoppercar

Post by hoppercar »

I have several different sizes of elliot rollers....they work great...
ALCOSTEAM

Post by ALCOSTEAM »

I will also second the tube roller advice. Swaging is a last ditch effort if you cant get a roller in the tube.

Years ago I attended the auction of a closed heat exchanger/ pressure vessel builder and picked up a good selection of mostly T.C. Wilson rollers. I have bought new ones also from T.C. Wilson.

I have also re rolled leaky pushrod tubes in the heads of a big old 1934 Rolls Royce engine a friend was working on.

https://cdn.dealeraccelerate.com/charle ... head-coupe

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/69/5f/d9 ... 5b2733.jpg
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Don't overlook the use of urethane. A proper fitting urethane bushing trapped between two washers on a threaded rod will expand a tube, even when there's irregularities in the tube plate. Urethane, unlike rubber, tends to stay together and does not extrude. You have the added option of expanding the tube only where you desire.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
SCBryan

Post by SCBryan »

Thank you, everyone, for the suggestions and advice.

Steve
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

BEFORE you purchase the roller, measure the clearances that that you have around the tubes.

in many loco boilers, you can end up in a situation where you cannot get the roller in 'square' because of obstructions...which can include welds....or just obstructions inside of the firebox (often the firebox itself).

Most roller manufacturers make versions for 'tight spaces' which can include universal joints, extensions....looking in the catalog(s) will give you an idea of what I am describing.

if you know what you need, you can often order it correctly from the get-go rather than modifying 'after the fact'.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.