OCME Club Suspends Public events

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Kimball McGinley

OCME Club Suspends Public events

Post by Kimball McGinley »

My club has reported that the city of Costa Mesa, CA has asked us to suspend all public events going forward; you know why. We are apparently one of the many regularly scheduled such events that will be affected.
Steggy

Re: OCME Club Suspends Public events

Post by Steggy »

Kimball McGinley wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:25 pm My club has reported that the city of Costa Mesa, CA has asked us to suspend all public events going forward; you know why. We are apparently one of the many regularly scheduled such events that will be affected.
The irrationality never ceases, eh?
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

BigDumbDinosaur wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:28 pm
Kimball McGinley wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:25 pm My club has reported that the city of Costa Mesa, CA has asked us to suspend all public events going forward; you know why. We are apparently one of the many regularly scheduled such events that will be affected.
The irrationality never ceases, eh?
I think it's safe to say that everyone must consider the matter at hand as critical to survival of the bulk of us, as it's the aged, especially those with health issues, who are most at risk, and our hobby is heavily laden with individuals who qualify.

There have been no cases reported in my county, and I'm about 100 miles from the hotbed of deaths attributed to the virus, yet I am more than concerned, as I qualify as one of the aged at my young age of 80 years old. The mortality rate for those individuals as down-right scary.

I hope to not make this a political matter, but emulating our current president, who wantingly disregarded the seriousness of this matter, is not to be promoted on this board. Please refrain from doing so, even if you passionately disagree. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Maybe we can all laugh at this some time in the future, but for right now, I encourage everyone to take the threat seriously, at least until it is better understood. Your life may depend on it! :wink:

H

Edit:
Jose (used to be on Chaski) sent this to me. Might be worth watching. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3URhJx0NSw
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
RET

Post by RET »

Hi,

Unfortunately Harold, you are right and the first part of the video that Jose sent covers things pretty completely. I use the BBC News website to see what is going on in the world because they seem to be about as unbiased as you can get. The only good thing about this particular virus seems to be that it isn't very lethal. By the way, this whole mess started from a market in Wuhan.

Yes, many of us in the hobby are "seniors," I for one will be 83 this year, so as a group we need to be both concerned and careful. It will be an "interesting" year and I hope we are all still around next year.

So far in Canada there is one death in British Columbia and Justin Trudeau's wife has just tested positive for the virus, but things change daily.

Richard Trounce.
BClemens

Post by BClemens »

Harold, Again you take the cake...
Zach_Jones

Post by Zach_Jones »

Currently the club has cancelled all public events till the end April, but this could last longer as we all know. Club members can still use the facilities.
Member of the Orange County Model Engineers
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

Just to put things in perspective, I am almost 75 and have a surgically-weakened immune system. I'm at greater risk of developing a life-threatening infection than most people who are in their 80s. I'm more concerned with catching the flu or pneumonia than I am with contracting COVID-19.

Oh yes, almost forgot! While everyone is panicking over something that is actually quite easy to avoid (according to my hematologist/oncologist), consider that approximately 80 people died in motor vehicle crashes today.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

If it was easy to avoid, it would have been avoided. I simply don't believe that to be true, and, I suspect, neither do the victims. I strongly suspect that that's the reason venues that are hugely expensive are being closed. You simply can't know if you're going to be exposed, as it appears that carriers may not display symptoms until they are sickened (unless tested, and you already know how that's turned out), mean time they are infecting others and no one has a clue.

If nothing else concerns a guy, the fact that it is proving to have a relatively high mortality rate (when compared to the flu), and most definitely is far more deadly for the aged, should. Why take chances?

I suspect your hematologist/ocologist is going to sing a different tune in the near future, as more is learned about this critter. Mean time, play it safe. You're far more valuable to this board as a living individual than you would be if you were dead.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
FLSTEAM

Post by FLSTEAM »

Harold I think it is interesting that you can bash the President on this forum but you don't want me to support him,,,,,,,,,,
ERIE S-1 BERKSHIRES

Post by ERIE S-1 BERKSHIRES »

Well this broke out 3 months ago the president was acting like it was fake news and now that's full-blown epidemic now he's agreeing with the opposite side how??? do you think some people are going to react !!!!!!! I'm with Harold on this one the borders should have been closed and incoming people should have been quarantined immediately no telling how many people will lose because of one person sloppiness don't give me any s*** about this , the last time This Happened!?!? I thought we were supposed to learn from mistakes and this is why I will never vote for either side we just keep electing idiots
FLSTEAM

Post by FLSTEAM »

I hope we don't turn this forum into another "Facebook". I have to wade thru too much bullshit now.....
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

80 people may have died in car crashes, but the difference between this and car crashes is that car crashes are not going to increase exponentially.

Steve
Last edited by SteveM on Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.