Butterfly fire door, castings by David Moore

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

F Wright

Butterfly fire door, castings by David Moore

Post by F Wright »

I plan to use these casting, all ready purchased, on my 11/2NG, outside frame Consolidation, DRGW #360. I need info on how I should plumb the operating clynder so the doors operate on steam/air? Fred
michaellynn2

Re: Butterfly fire door, castings by David Moore

Post by michaellynn2 »

I installed a spring to pull the doors shut after operating the butterfly doors on air/steam. The doors tended to stick open after operating without the spring. I installed a 1/8" air line to the butterfly doors operating cylinder. Between the air/steam supply and the operating cylinder I installed a Clippard MAV-3 valve. A valve stem is pressed to open the air/steam to the operating cylinder on the butterfly doors. When the valve stem is not depressed the air/steam is vented to the atmosphere from the operating cylinder on the butterfly doors. I placed the valve stem on the Clippard valve in a upward position so the stem pointed up through the cab floor. The valve stem was depressed by a scale foot pedal on the cab floor. One final point...the butterfly doors operated best on air.
michael george
F Wright

Post by F Wright »

Thanks foryour reply, Michael. I don't know too much about the cylinder casting. As I have not put the kit together. I am drawing the mechanical linkage needed for the cylinder to operate the door. That is, what I think is needed. What is a Clippard valve? Maybe when operating on steam accumulated condensation might need a way to be drained off. With this lock-down in effect I'm not able to work in my shop, so I'm just trying to draw it up. I make most of the valves I use on my engines. My first thinking for a valve would be a whistle valve type. Fred
michaellynn2

Post by michaellynn2 »

Hello Fred, the Clippard Minimatics makes the valve and it is small and more to scale. It is about 5/8" x 1/2" . If you go online to the company Clippard Minimatics and put in MAV-3 in their search engine the valve will pop up and you can look at it. The valve is a 3 way valve to drain off the steam when the valve stem is released. I used the Clippard Minimatics MAV-3 valve because I wanted to save all the machining a 3 way valve. It works great!! I actually made a foot pedal to push the valve stem downward to work the butterfly doors. Push down on the foot pedal and the doors open. Release the foot pedal and the doors close shut.
michael george
Sandiapaul

Post by Sandiapaul »