2.5" Monitor Injector Update

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

AnthonyDuarte

2.5" Monitor Injector Update

Post by AnthonyDuarte »

Hi Everyone,

I was all set to start shipping out Monitor Injectors today, but I found a critical error in my machining of one of the castings during final assembly.
Unfortunately I will need to get all these castings replaced and machined, and double unfortunately it's by far the hardest casting to machine!

"Measure twice cut once" isn't helpful when you're looking at the wrong dimension :cry:

The silver lining is the foundry just reopened last week, and they're very quick to turn parts around when a rush order is put in. I'm hoping I can get all the castings replaced and machined in about 3 weeks (including other castings that were lost due to porosity).

Everything else is completely machined, deburred and ready for final assembly, and all the packaging is ready to go, including a 16 page manual. Once the castings are replaced they'll ship!
IMG_4326.jpg
IMG_4329.jpg
Harold_V

Re: 2.5" Monitor Injector Update

Post by Harold_V »

A tragedy, to be sure.
In my many years of machining, primarily defense and aero-space, it was often necessary to submit a "first article" for inspection. When doing so, any errors that may have been made are detected, so corrections can be made before the production run. Setup time can be extensive, but the saving in labor and material costs is well worth it, to say little of the delay in delivery.

Luck with the rerun!

In my day, I took great pride in quality, and shipped what I like to call "pretty work". I admire the work you're turning out.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
jcbrock

Post by jcbrock »

I'm sorry to hear that Anthony, it sounds like Murphy's Law at work but thank you for the update. The presentation and packaging is beautiful too, it's a shame but I am still going to put mine on a loco and get it dirty!
John Brock
KenG

Post by KenG »

I received my injectors today. They are beautiful. My wife of course pointed out they cost more than her Louis Vuitton handbag. But they look a whole lot more exotic. As John said, it will be a shame to get them dirty.

Thank you Anthony.

Ken.
Dick_Morris

Post by Dick_Morris »

cost more than her Louis Vuitton handbag.
But an injector is useful. :D
jcbrock

Post by jcbrock »

I'm glad you appended your message Ken, it made me go check and sure enough there it sat in the middle of my driveway. Mine's nu,ber 17 which is great, it shouldn't have any trouble priming. :)

Beautiful work Anthony, it has really lit a fire in me to make progress on my loco.
John Brock