1945 footage of New England Live Steamers in Color

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Steve Bratina

Re: 1945 footage of New England Live Steamers in Color

Post by Steve Bratina »

And more.
Attachments
IMG_4448.PNG
IMG_4449.PNG
IMG_4451.PNG
IMG_4454.PNG
Steve Bratina

Post by Steve Bratina »

And......
Attachments
IMG_4456.PNG
IMG_4458.PNG
IMG_4459.PNG
IMG_4461.PNG
Steve Bratina

Post by Steve Bratina »

This last engine is (I believe) the Tilbury Tank made by Van Brocklin . It was eventually purchased by George(?) Jenkins and I have some old pictures of it running at Windsor, Rex Smith's track in Port Rowan and at the PVLS in the late 50's and early 60's. Don't know where it is now. For another guess I think the Mikado (357) might belong to Mal Spangenburg(?). If it is, it eventually got a Vanderbilt tender.
Steve Bratina

Post by Steve Bratina »

In a few of the pictures, you can see the switch handles for what would be the upbound switch. This view from the IBLS.org shows the downbound one.
Attachments
IMG_4468.PNG
Steve Bratina

Post by Steve Bratina »

Noticed a few other things. In the black and white and the beginnings of the colour film, there is only one track across the big bridge. This track has both 1/2" and 3/4" rail laid down. It seems the upbound switch is used to go from the single track across the bridge to double track (a passing siding)
In the later colour film, there is now two tracks across the bridge and both tracks have only 3/4" rail laid down . The 1/2" is gone.
When I say the big bridge, this was the one with the walkway and was on very high legs. The chemical company is usually seen behind engines running across the bridge.
It appears that there was a single track main and the two switches were used to go on to and off of this passing siding. Once the second track was built, the switches were used as more of a crossover. Imagine the answers we could have had if this you tube stuff was around in the 1970's
JohnK

Post by JohnK »

On the Maine two-footer at the end, when the engine's coming toward you, I believe that's Charles Clegg at the left and Lucius Beebe at right.
elm53

Post by elm53 »

Steve that may be WVB's dad running the Tilbury Tank. And there are a couple of shots of Billy with the Southern ten wheeler he built. Looks unfinished, no tender!
Steve Bratina

Post by Steve Bratina »

FYI
Attachments
IMG_4466.PNG
Steve Bratina

Post by Steve Bratina »

From the IBLS site, the dates don't seem to match. Maybe the film is later than 1945?
Attachments
IMG_4501.PNG
elm53

Post by elm53 »

Hi Steve, hope you and yours are well. I agree about the dates. I think the gentleman running Bills Tilbury tank may be his Dad. He was an O scale guy, and there was a bunch of Oscale live steam parts in Bills basement after he passed. We couldn't get back there ,only 1 shot at it. Miss seeing you in person chum! Wish this covid crap would take a hike! Stay well ,stay safe!
Best regards , Laurence of Worcester!!!