Searching for 2-6-0 "Scotty" Mogul Drawings

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

mogul327

Searching for 2-6-0 "Scotty" Mogul Drawings

Post by mogul327 »

First time poster here on the board, but long time lurker and live steam hobbyist. As pointed out in the subject title above, I'm searching for the drawings/prints to the "scotty" mogul which was a popular light 2-6-0 a few years back. After being able to run a friends "scotty" mogul and running others engines on and off for over the last 10 years I have decided that this is the engine that I would like to build. Small, compact, and plenty of power. I have asked my fellow close-by live steamers if they had a set of drawings, but none of them did sadly. If anyone would be willing to copy, share, or provide me with any drawings or information/leads I would be most grateful! Thank you for any help provided!
1.5" Scotty Mogul #238
1.5" L.E. American Restoration
ALCOSTEAM

Re: Searching for 2-6-0 "Scotty" Mogul Drawings

Post by ALCOSTEAM »

Do you have the basic castings ? The local group here has built many scotty mogul's with the latest one being in the final touches stage. It was procured by one of the group as a "started" project if you could call it that, that had to be totally redone to correct all the issues.
IMG_20200801_204240536.jpg
mogul327

Post by mogul327 »

Unfortunately I don't. At one time I had a very promising lead on a full set 4 to 5 years ago but the computer crashed and I lost all my contacts etc.
1.5" Scotty Mogul #238
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

Here's the deal. Paul Brien of Nashville, TN drew up the 'Scotty' Mogul in CAD and did a lot of redesign to it. The redesign wasn't to change any of the cosmetics, it was to beef up a few areas, especially the rods and crosshead support members, etc... The original rods were thinner, and Paul redesigned them to be 1/4" thickness, among a few other small things. He made detailed drawings, and they are absolutely great, even down to the boiler plates and how they have to be cut so that the bends will come out properly.

I actually have an original set of the Scotty Mogul drawings, but I wouldn't use them. I would use the updated Paul Brien drawings or nothing. I have seen no fewer than 4 of these Moguls built using Paul's drawings and they all were great steamers and runners, good pullers for their size, sure footed and not prone to derailing.

Unfortunately, Paul's computer crashed and wiped out his CAD files for the locomotive. I do have all of his paper drawings scanned, and I have sent them to the IBLS so that they can post them. I don't think they've gotten that done yet, but there are a lot of sheets of drawings. I can e-mail them to you if you would like. It would be several e-mails, each with about 12 pdf files attached. Unfortunately, the drawings for the tender didn't get saved or printed, except for the arrangement for the mechanical brake system that Paul designed. It has shoes that press against the backs of the tender wheels. It's simple and works great.
General Arrangement.pdf
(34.28 KiB) Downloaded 393 times
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

If you want to build this locomotive, then go ahead and start. I don't think you need these castings at all, other than the wheels. The whole set of castings is nothing more than 2 cylinders, 6 drive wheels, and 2 lead truck wheels. Everything else is fabricated. about 25-30 years ago, someone was selling the casting sets that I describe above to build this locomotive. It may have even been your live steam group. I can't remember. There were several sets purchased around the Mid-South and Mid-West areas. I think the casting set was either $150 or $200 for the set back then. The ones that I have are from back in that time, and have been sitting in someone's shop for the last 30 years.

If you can't find the castings, you could machine the cylinders out of a solid block of cast iron, you could make the lead truck wheels from solid steel and either cut the holes/slots in them or leave them solid. Railroad Supply has 6" drive wheel castings for their 0-4-0 that look pretty close and would work fine for this locomotive. They are available in heavy and light versions, and the light version would be pretty close to what these castings are like.

I also have a set of the castings for this locomotive. I'm not willing to part with them right now, though. I think one day I will build this. It is a very fine running and easy to handle locomotive.
Berkman

Post by Berkman »

Didn't he also design a "heavy" piston valve 4-4-0 / 4-6-0?
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

Let me clarify: I didn't mean to sound like the 'Scotty' Mogul wasn't a good engine or that the original drawings aren't any good, or anything like that. Paul took a good and proven design, re-drew it with a lot of detail, and beefed up and improved a few things about it that he thought could be a little bit better. That's why I would use his drawings instead of the original. The original design was obviously good and worked fine.

Paul was building a 2-8-0 chassis using these drawings and castings when he died. His arthritis had gotten so bad that he rarely worked on any more, though. What I've been told is that his grandson took the partially completed chassis with him out west somewhere, and planned on completing it. That was about 10 years ago, and I've heard nothing about it since. It was the mogul chassis with one extra driver set added to the back. The main driver was still the 2nd one. It was a very nice looking chassis. I would have moved the main driver to the 3rd one like most Consolidations have, but that's just me.

Any tender will work with it, but the best fit size-wise is probably the Allen Models Mogul tender, at 32" length. It would be just about right.
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

Yes, he did. It was based on the old Miller Backyard Rails designed 4-4-0. It had only one eccentric per side, and you swapped the piston valves from inside steam to outside steam to reverse it. It ran at 100% cutoff. That was a massive ten wheeler, too. Paul called it the LRR ten-wheeler (Lancaster Rail Road).

I have those drawings as well, again only in paper copy. They aren't scanned, though.

I also have ONE cylinder set that goes for that locomotive. Paul made the pattern and a fellow that lived in Chattanooga, TN had them cast in grey iron at a local foundry there. They had 5 or 6 castings made, from what I understand. However, the pattern is lost. Paul said that it was left at the foundry so that more could be cast, but the man in Chattanooga died, the foundry has been closed and gone for many years now, and Paul has also passed away. Someone down in Florida got the one other cylinder casting that remained. That was a few years ago, not heard anything about it since.
Last edited by Pontiacguy1 on Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mogul327

Post by mogul327 »

Hi Pontiacguy1. Thanks for the amazing response! If you are willing to email the pdf files to me that would be fantastic! Sounds like Paul's redrawn files are much better than to have for a very much improved engine overall. This is definetely the type of information I have needed!
1.5" Scotty Mogul #238
FKreider

Post by FKreider »

Just curious- does anyone know the original history of this design? Who was the original builder/designer?
-Frank K.
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

Pershing G. Scott, of Live Steam Magazine fame, was the original designer. This was back in the 60's, 70's, somewhere back beyond my time, not sure. That's why it was always called the 'Scotty' mogul.

Send me your e-mail address in a private message, and I will send you the drawing files sometime. Won't be this week, though.
mogul327

Post by mogul327 »

PM Sent
1.5" Scotty Mogul #238