Anyone here go to high lines all over the country?

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

shild

Anyone here go to high lines all over the country?

Post by shild »

Was wondering if someone can tell me what it's like going to steam clubs all across the country? Particularly ones with a high line? I have a taste of what it's like at Waushakum when they have their 3 day event. On those days I think a few of them come from Pioneer Valley, Some people will camp there all 3 days, it will be crowded enough that some people will have to park on the cul-de-sac and Karen circle, and sometimes neighbors will leave nasty notes on peoples cars complaining about it! So what's it like at other clubs?
Pontiacguy1

Re: Anyone here go to high lines all over the country?

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

There aren't as many high lines as there are ground-level 7+ tracks, not by a long shot. So where are the high lines located? Some out in California, some in Canada, especially Eastern Canada, the North East US, Pennsylvania, I know Cincinnati has a high line too. As far as I know there is nothing south of Cincinnati other than 7 1/2" gauge, except maybe in Florida, but I'm not sure about that. There was one man in Tennessee who had some 1" scale 4 3/4" gauge stuff somewhere around Knoxville. He has passed away, and that's the only one that I knew about that wasn't 7 1/2" gauge anywhere around here.

Traveling with your locomotive to someone else's track is a big part of the fun of this hobby, at least for me. I love to go run somewhere that I don't normally get to. Every place is different, and seeing and running there will give you a very different feel and experience. Some places are more laid back than others, some are more strict. Just depends on who, when, and where. Have fun, that's the main thing!
JohnHudak

Post by JohnHudak »

NEOLS (NE Ohio) has a highline, St Croix has one, does the Illinois LS'ers have one? There's a club in Colorado that has one, or they did?
There's a few scattered here and there, and I'm sure some private tracks as well...
John
ChuckHackett-844

Post by ChuckHackett-844 »

St. Croix Railroad (Hudson, WI) has a high line for gauges 1" and under I think. Not exactly sure of the assortment. They also have a large 1" ground track and a 7.5" ground track (both w/bridges/tunnels).
Regards,

Chuck Hackett, UP Northern 844, Mich-Cal Shay #2
Owner, MiniRail Solutions, LLC, RR Signal Systems (http://www.MiniRailSolutions.com)
"By the work, One knows the workman"
steamingdon

Post by steamingdon »

There are many clubs with highlines. refer to pages 58-59 of Live steam magazine . Covid 19 has put a monkey wrench in visiting for 2020. Northeast and Canada have most of the highlines in the country. Do a search, you`ll be amazed.
steamer
James Powell

Post by James Powell »

Canadian High Lines:

NL Dr Lockwood's, Fallen Flag

https://flic.kr/p/bUPGYd

(Dual 5/3.5, part ground part elevated, all very rotten in 2000...)

NS-?
NB-?
PEI-?
PQ- Montreal Live Steamers, about 600' x 2 loops (though I am sure Jim will be along to correct me...)

https://flic.kr/p/bUPHGm
(MLS 2000)

There may be a track in Quebec City ? (again, perhaps Jim Leggett knows)

Ontario
Frontinac- 600-800'

https://flic.kr/p/p4kPFi
(Battersea, just north of Kingston)

Ottawa
(not been there with loco)

Lindsay- Fallen Flag
(I think no longer there, I never went)

Richmond Hill
https://flic.kr/p/uUNUga

Toronto Society of Model Engineers
(though no longer at this location, now a part is in dad's backyard...)

https://flic.kr/p/bCgvCw

Hamilton (Golden Horseshoe)

https://flic.kr/p/x6Ccts

Art Ellis (St Catherine's, ONT)

(? Location of track is now ? Is same style of track as TSME/Hamilton, but on opposite side so can't be joined...)

Cambridge (COALS)- Fallen Flag
https://flic.kr/p/bUPJvL

Steve Bratina's
(he can post his own, I'd like to visit but the COVID thing put paid to any travel east this year)

Port Rowan -Fallen Flag

Sun Parlor Lines - Windsor, Ont, (I think fallen flag)

Bluewater, Sarnia Ont (I think fallen flag)

MPP Woodstock (I understand fallen flag)

North Bay (???)- I know that Lynn Johnson's husband had a 4-8-4 in 3.5, but that it is owned by Carrdo on here, and has been for 2 decades or so...

Thunder Bay -Fallen Flag, 3x locations that I have seen photos of

MB
Manitoba Live Steamers- advertise as having a raised track. We didn't go on our way across country, as we had a stop closer to Sask. to go to see another model engineer.
SK ? I know nothing !
AB AMES Ardrie/ Iron Horse Park has a loop, I haven't run there yet.
BC

Aldergrove- 1600' (may be fallen flag)

BCSME (Has the intent of building, not sure where progress is...was awaiting a bridge, and had run into problems with their city landlord...)

VIME: About 800'

My house- the van sitting outside contains 600' of tie plates for the start of my line...I have had the VIME portable track there once...just to the west of P&Q which is a fallen flag 7.5" line in Otter Point :)
PRR G5s

Post by PRR G5s »

Illinois Live Steamers has a highline for 3/4" and G-gauge. Whenever I make it, there's only a couple of us running. It's a nice track, I'd definitely recommend it.

Iowa Society of Model Engineers has a highline for 1" and 3/4" scale. I haven't been up there since they relocated from Scotty's place.

I just finished the mainline of my personal track. Haven't taken any pictures to post yet, still working out some of the problem areas.

Eric L.
jcbrock

Post by jcbrock »

ChuckHackett-844 wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:59 am St. Croix Railroad (Hudson, WI) has a high line for gauges 1" and under I think. Not exactly sure of the assortment.
The assortment as Chuck accurately describes it is 2.5", 3.5", 4.75" and 5". There are also rails for 7.5" used as a guardrail and to allow large-scale flats to be used as work cars carrying welders etc., and I know O scale can be run between a rail pair if you really want to. I don't know if anybody has tried 45mm ga equipment. The ease of transport of most high-line equipment is the great advantage of touring with it. Pics are always fun:
P7014569.jpg
P7084793.jpg
P7084808.jpg
P7094932.jpg
P7084803.jpg
John Brock
shild

Post by shild »

PRR G5s wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:23 pm Illinois Live Steamers has a highline for 3/4" and G-gauge. Whenever I make it, there's only a couple of us running. It's a nice track, I'd definitely recommend it.

Iowa Society of Model Engineers has a highline for 1" and 3/4" scale. I haven't been up there since they relocated from Scotty's place.

I just finished the mainline of my personal track. Haven't taken any pictures to post yet, still working out some of the problem areas.

Eric L.
Was just looking at pics of the Illinois live steamers high line. It actually looks like Lionel track!... Did it use to be only 3/4" then they added G scale later? And what is that cable going along the bottom of the line in some places? If I lived close I could run my radio control G scale Bachman train with 6 D size batteries as is right? No modifications at all? But I imagine it would be slow enough I'd anger the 3/4" guys if I wasn't careful.
Last edited by Harold_V on Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: remove undesirable language
shild

Post by shild »

Pontiacguy1 wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:44 am There aren't as many high lines as there are ground-level 7+ tracks, not by a long shot. So where are the high lines located? Some out in California, some in Canada, especially Eastern Canada, the North East US, Pennsylvania, I know Cincinnati has a high line too. As far as I know there is nothing south of Cincinnati other than 7 1/2" gauge, except maybe in Florida, but I'm not sure about that. There was one man in Tennessee who had some 1" scale 4 3/4" gauge stuff somewhere around Knoxville. He has passed away, and that's the only one that I knew about that wasn't 7 1/2" gauge anywhere around here.

Interesting you say that. I believe Trainman 4602 has a video where he says something to the effect that if you want to make a business that sells live steam parts, you should only cater to the high line guys.
shild

Post by shild »

jcbrock wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:19 pm
ChuckHackett-844 wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:59 am St. Croix Railroad (Hudson, WI) has a high line for gauges 1" and under I think. Not exactly sure of the assortment.
The assortment as Chuck accurately describes it is 2.5", 3.5", 4.75" and 5". There are also rails for 7.5" used as a guardrail and to allow large-scale flats to be used as work cars carrying welders etc., and I know O scale can be run between a rail pair if you really want to. I don't know if anybody has tried 45mm ga equipment. The ease of transport of most high-line equipment is the great advantage of touring with it. Pics are always fun:

Thanks Chuck, thanks Jcbrock. Can you tell which of the gauges is most popular? My guess would be 3.5"? I believe at Waushakum during the Norfolk street era when they had only 3.5" and 4.75" it was common for people to run narrow gauge 4.75" because that's the only way you could have something bigger than 1" scale. That probably isn't so common at this place is it?
shild

Post by shild »

Thanks for the replies everyone. James those are great pictures.