Trying to decide on a beginner 3/4" locomotive to build.

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Builder01

Re: Trying to decide on a beginner 3/4" locomotive to build.

Post by Builder01 »

shild wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:04 pm
LVRR2095 wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:40 pm Slip eccentric is not necessarily “easier” to build than Stephenson Link Motion, but it has fewer parts. Stephenson requires four eccentrics, four eccentric straps and curved expansion links. Slip eccentric has two eccentrics and associated straps and some bell cranks.
Speaking of which, I wonder if those 4 eccentrics and axle pump would be close enough to lawnmower piston rods? Or some other small motor or air compressor?
You should not shy away from building an axle pump or a hand pump. These pumps would be the perfect thing to make first to see if this sort of project is really for you or not. If a simple pump is beyond your skills, then a complete steam locomotive is probably not the thing to attempt. I built several stationary steam engines before I ever considered a locomotive. The feed water pumps would be a really good first project. Make all of the parts exactly like the drawing, don't think about what parts you could modify from other devices that could "work" on your loco. Do it correctly, it's not that difficult.
David Powell

Post by David Powell »

Further thoughts, Obviously you are a keen enthuiast with a desire to get out there driving a steamer, There are other ways behind actually setting to and building one. There are or at least were kits available with all parts machined, boilers built written assembly instructions included. We have one waiting for us to assemble it. Another way could be to purchase a complete working model and simply learn to run it, Thirdly you could buy a loco in need of repair, preferably one which you knew needed only some minor repairs. Belonging to a club, or even several would help, but do not just belong, but PARTICIPATE, That way you would get to know what is available, possibly at much lower prices or much better deals, than advertised, BY GIVING help you will get help back. Karma works well in our hobby. Regards David Powell
Bill C

Post by Bill C »

Hello Shild,

I’m enjoying reading this thread as it reminds me of a lot of the questions I had as I got started in this hobby. You are getting a lot of great advice from very knowledgeable live steam enthusiasts, so I would encourage you to listen to them. The only things I can add are to echo the messages about getting involved and getting a Mentor. My mentor (Fred V) and a few local friends (Pete, Chuck, Paul) have helped me immensely on my journey.

The other suggestion is to build a stationary steam engine to learn skills. Joe Pie on YouTube has just finished building one from PM Research. The kit only cost $129 and you could build your own and watch Joe for professional guidance. Here is a link to the first video of the series...

https://youtu.be/uaV6Qr_Tqys

Enjoy and good luck to you!

Bill C
Steamer Al

Post by Steamer Al »

+1 for building a stationary engine and boiler before attempting something bigger. I'm pretty new to the hobby myself, and started off restoring and finishing off projects already started, a very good way to learn. I'm lucky to have inherited a complete collection of Live Steam magazines from 1981-1993, they are a fantastic source of information and have build series for simple and complicated projects. While I would like to build a locomotive one day (that mich-cal no.2 shay is pretty attractive) , I still consider myself probably not yet ready for it and will build a couple more engines and boilers before giving it a go.

Alex
shild

Post by shild »

Thanks for all the replies guys. I think I'm going with the Virginia 4-4-0. If I can't get it to run off steam, I'll just stick an RC car motor on the back with a cogged belt to one of the drive axles. Wouldn't mind seeing a few pages of the instructions for other locomotives if you know of links to them, but I don't want to pay for them.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

?????????
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Builder01

Post by Builder01 »

Bill Shields wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 2:20 pm ?????????
Bill, my reaction also.
David Powell

Post by David Powell »

Really, is this some kind of a joke being played on us.. RC car motors are flea power compared with any steamer over 0 gauge. Has the original poster ever even seen a steamer in action. Regards David Powell.
milwiron

Post by milwiron »

Shild, a Google search will bring up hundreds of rc car sites.
Good luck with your project.
Denny
"Measure twice, curse once."
Mike Walsh

Post by Mike Walsh »

shild wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 1:41 pmWouldn't mind seeing a few pages of the instructions for other locomotives if you know of links to them, but I don't want to pay for them.
That's a surefire way to get blacklisted from vendors/owners of prints out there...

It seems that you are looking for "gimmes" and "shortcuts"... I am not sure that you will get the support that you want/need from members on this forum if you are approaching your project with this mentality...

Good luck and I look forward to hearing about your learning experiences on Chaski.
skyloop440

Post by skyloop440 »

Hi shild, and every one else following this post.
I think all throw my two cents worth in here, Shild you have gotten some very good advice here, one thing all add is were are you located, maybe one of the guys here could take you under there arm if you are in the same city etc, and mentor you. How old are you, can you drive, then go on discover live steam and find a club near you, go visit them become a member, find out there track gauges if they have 3 1/2" then great. Trying to build something from a mixed bunch of parts might be more work than building from scratch. If you are truly interested in this hobby and want to become part of it then here is what i can do to help you. I have a full set of Raritan castings (unmachined) and a full set of the riding car castings i have a water jet cut frame for the loco and the pipe to make the boiler out of plus the book of plans. Probably $1200.00 bucks worth of stuff, all GIVE to you if you will concider building a Raritan plus i think Joe Tanski is a great source of info on it. If you do your home work and leg work and find some help we can talk about this further.

Matt
David Powell

Post by David Powell »

This offer simply shows what kind and encouraging people exist within our hobby
I have been in the hobby for 60 yrs and have been the recipient of many kindnesses and have tried to pay them forward as best as possible. Karma Exists here.
Regards David Powell.