Boiler band material.

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

SeanNaPiob

Boiler band material.

Post by SeanNaPiob »

Good morning.

I could not find an answer using the search feature.

What material do some of you use for the boiler/jacket bands? Particularly for 1.5/1.6 scale. The only thing I can find in 5/8" wide - .025-.040 thick, the range I would like to use, is 1095 spring steel.

Thank you.
sbalkum

Re: Boiler band material.

Post by sbalkum »

I went to my local big box store and asked for metal banding they had recently cut off pallets. Easily found enough unbent lengths for my 2-8-0. They have held up perfectly for the past 15 years. Cost me nothing but the time.
Chris Hollands

Post by Chris Hollands »

I use the "band-it" type metal package / pallet banding you can get it in various materials and widths if you want SS then the issue I had was a lot of suppliers have there trade name etched in the banding but the plain stuff is out there it may take a little more looking .
Attachments
IMG_2424.JPG
IMG_2425.JPG
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

You didn't say what this is going on. I have used the 5/8" wide banding from shipping crates on some larger boilers, 1/2" wide on some others. I have also used some 1/2" wide brass with the angles for the tightening bolts silver soldered on. It's hard to find brass strip or banding material now. if you want a certain size and thickness, you can find a local sheet metal shop that can probably shear it off for you for very little money. Used to have a guy around here that could do that stuff, and was really reasonable. He died a few years ago, and all his stuff was sold off by his estate.

If you aren't picky about everything being exactly to scale, and want something that just works good and is easy, then take some larger size hose clamps, cut them, and then rivet them to the banding material. You can then tighten them up with a nut driver, and they'll be up underneath the boiler hidden by the running boards, paint, dirt, grime, and oil. they're easy to adjust, or re-adjust if need be, and nobody will be the wiser unless you point it out.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

On my first locomotive I used 1/2" wide brass strips with brass ends silver-brazed on the ends for the crew tighteners.
These have worked fine for many years.

My second locomotive I simply sheared 1/2" wide strips of the jacketing material, with metal angle brackets riveted on the ends.
Also worked fine.
RussN
Boiler Jacket parts.jpg
SeanNaPiob

Post by SeanNaPiob »

Thank you, everyone.

I was leaning towards the banding/strapping material. I've only been able to find 3/4" in the trash so far. But, yes, lots of that available at large retail/industrial establishments. If I can't find any in the trash, I'll just have to order a mini roll.

This is going on a 1.5" scale Goldman Consolidation. 11.5" o.d. on the boiler. She's loosely based on the WM734, and the bands scale to approx. 5", so 5/8 wide material is what I'm looking for.

I had thought of cutting strips, but my sheer is only 30".

Attaching hose clamp ends to the bands is brilliant, as long as they can be hidden.

Thanks again.
Berkman

Post by Berkman »

If you want the detail, someone used to make fake decorative boiler jacket clamps that on the prototypes typically were along the top of the boiler. I think they were just screwed into the jacket as they were for looks only.

How much weight did the lead add?
SeanNaPiob

Post by SeanNaPiob »

HI, Jim! I'm thinking the lead lagging added about 100 lbs. I bought 20 sq. ft. (160lb.) of .125 lead sheet. At this point, it will be easier for me to weigh what I have left over, and calculate the difference. I'm still going to fill the pilot beam with lead, and likely add some between the frame as well.
Berkman

Post by Berkman »

Wow that thing will pull like crazy then. So you added .125 of lead under the entire jacketing that you put on it ?
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

If anyone is interested, I have a Band-it tool, two rolls of stainless steel banding (1/2" and 5/8") and one box of clips.

I can grab a picture if anyone wants it.

I'm not going to sell off the roll in pieces - need to get rid of it all.

Steve
SeanNaPiob

Post by SeanNaPiob »

Berkman wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:46 pm Wow that thing will pull like crazy then. So you added .125 of lead under the entire jacketing that you put on it ?
I added 2 layers of .125 lead on the barrel, and 1 layer over the firebox. I left an air gap between the lead and the jacket on the barrel. Over the firebox has 1 layer of insulation over the lead, and the backhead has two layers of insulation, no lead.

The company across from our shop just gave me 12 feet of new 5/8" steel banding. I should have the jacket done this weekend.
amadlinger

Post by amadlinger »

Hi Steve,

Check your PM's.

Sincerely,
Adam