1/2'' scale drawings

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Thumphinger

1/2'' scale drawings

Post by Thumphinger »

I got inspired by some videos I found on 1/2'' scale models, built by Victor Shattock.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMoE6UQPFfE
Is there a source of drawings for 1/2'' scale?
Has there ever been any castings to buy?
LVRR2095

Re: 1/2'' scale drawings

Post by LVRR2095 »

Harry Fisher Hudson
Harry Fisher Hudson
In the past there were many castings available. H.J. Coventry probably offered the most. Harry Fisher of Belleville, NJ sold castings and drawings for a New York Central Hudson. L.R. Miller sold castings for a freelance Hudson. Little Engines sold castings for a 1/2” scale Pacific and a Hudson. Frank Birch sold castings for a Pacific. Even Brotherhood of Live Steamers founder Carl Purinton designed a 1/2” scale locomotive. None of these are currently available anymore.
There are 2 - 1/2” gauge locomotives commercially available of British prototypes.
Keith
jscarmozza

Post by jscarmozza »

I have a copy of the Little Engines instruction book for their 1/2" scale engine, if you are interested send me a PM.
John
steamingon

Post by steamingon »

British prototype drawings can be found here "National 2 1/2 Gauge Association" http://www.n25ga.org/

drawings http://www.n25ga.org/Designs/Designs%20Index.htm
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

John K. with Friends Models/Yankee shop (www.friendsmodels.com) has some of the 1/2" scale designs I believe, but none of them have castings out for sale that I know of, at least not right now.

2 1/2 inch gauge, ½” to the foot, was the most popular live steam scale/gauge in England before World War II, and was also extremely popular among live steamers in the US. There were lots of construction articles that appeared in magazines such as Model Engineer, Popular Mechanics and English Mechanic by legends such as Curly Lawrence (aka: LBSC), Martin Lewis, Henry Greenly, and H.P. Jackson. Many commercial models, both steam, Clockwork, and even electric were available from places such as Bassett-Lowke, Bing, and H.J. Coventry. Some of these were casting 'kits', and some were ready-to-run models. This scale was the largest of the ‘scenic’ scales, where realism of the surroundings and structures is very important , and the trains are not ridden on. It is also the smallest scale that can actually be ridden and ‘driven’ by the engineer using an elevated track. Many of the models were coal fired and could pull several adults around a fairly level track. The parts were also small enough to be built entirely using a hobby shop sized lathe, a small milling attachment, and a drill press. The 'golden age' of 1/2" scale modeling was in the 1920s through the end of WW2.

The economic boom that came after the end of World War II pretty much wiped out ½” scale as a popular modeling and operating scale. With the growing affluence in Britain and the United States, along with less expensive electric train models and rolling stock, people of more modest means could get into model railroading. Because of space limitations, most of the model railroaders were utilizing smaller scales and moving their trains indoors. O scale, and even smaller scales such as S and HO were now the choice for the scenic modelers.

The live steam guys were also experiencing the joys that come from a more affluent society. The size of both the hobby and the equipment began to grow larger and larger as the years progressed. After WWII, the most popular scale quickly became ¾” to the foot running on 3 ½” gauge track. In later years 1” scale became popular. By the late 50's/early 1960’s the emerging scale and gauge was 1 ½” scale and 7+ gauge. This left ½” scale almost completely out of the picture. By the 1970s the scale was almost extinct, except for a few suppliers still offering castings. For the most part, this scale was not being built or modeled in, and tracks to run on were scarce.

That's pretty much how it stands today. I dabble a bit in 1/2" scale 2 1/2" gauge, and although I love the size of it, it's not very popular. Might be a dozen to maybe 2 dozen people at the most who are active in that scale/gauge on the entire North American Continent. Only a few clubs out there have a high-line track that has a 2 1/2" gauge rail on it. I say this not to discourage you, because I think that this is a great scale/gauge to work in, but just know that you're going to be kind-of a lone wolf out there in the Live Steam world.

With that being said: If you want to find stuff to build in 1/2" scale, look around out there. Partially finished casting sets and parts for 1/2" scale sometimes comes up on this board, on Discover Live Steam, and on Ebay. Most of them are Little Engines castings, but every once in a while you will find stuff from Coventry or something even more rare. I've seen some people try to pass off L.E. castings as being Coventry or some other, but having some of the LE castings, they're pretty easy to spot. Also be aware that in the late 70's early 1980's, LE started pouring all of their small scale castings (at least the 1/2" stuff) out of aluminum to save money, even the drive wheels! Have a set of those myself. I'm going to use them, but will tire them up. I think the cylinder blocks remained iron, and maybe the axle boxes were still out of bronze, but everything else became aluminum.

Sorry to be so long-winded.
jessebanning

Post by jessebanning »

We are bringing back all the small scale line. I actually started with the 2.5" gauge locomotives. They are actually scaled to .53125" to the foot. We have the cylinders and drivers being cast as we speak. They are true piston valve 1 piece block.
Attachments
75580391_572305603595364_1564429532486696960_n.jpg
118170779_3574631915880656_691460643753682574_n.jpg
117923486_3574631745880673_7621341993416660785_n.jpg
Side Elevation.jpg
118081741_3574631375880710_5834810327267866067_n.jpg
118458874_3574631875880660_1753536222924116681_n.jpg
www.banninglocomotiveworks.com

www.littleengines.com
dorin

Post by dorin »

An excellent source of information on this scale is the British National 2 1/2" gauge society.
http://www.n25ga.org/
They have many resources available.
I have bought many of their construction booklets.
They are very fun to read even if one does not have time to build!
www.chaski.com
FKreider

Post by FKreider »

Excellent pattern work Jesse! Are the steam passages cored as well?
-Frank K.
Sandiapaul

Post by Sandiapaul »

Also there is Dave Queener's site that has a bunch of info too:

https://www.cumberlandmodelengineering. ... eries.html
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

We are bringing back all the small scale line.
That is awesome! So I'm taking it that you purchased the small scale stuff back from Russell Stewart?

I am definitely interested in getting some 1/2" scale couplers, if and when you have any cast and available.

Good to hear that this stuff won't just disappear forever. I had truly feared the worst, thinking that none of this stuff would be available again.
dnevil

Post by dnevil »

Here is a list of known 1/2 inch scale design, but this is not complete.

http://ibls.org/mediawiki/index.php?tit ... inch_scale
Daris Nevil
IBLS Secretary
North American Region
http://www.ibls.org
jessebanning

Post by jessebanning »

FKreider wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:04 pm Excellent pattern work Jesse! Are the steam passages cored as well?
Yes the passages are cored.
www.banninglocomotiveworks.com

www.littleengines.com