Copper boiler build on Youtube

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

PRR5406

Copper boiler build on Youtube

Post by PRR5406 »

I recently came across this video and thought it instructive. Even if you are no constructing a copper boiler, they are still highly prized and the detail work on this Belpaire boiler is astounding. I don't know what material is being used as staybolts, but the work is astoundingly neat and well planned. Thought other might like to see a boiler done beautifully.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4Ov9qolaWc
"Always stopping my train, and risking my ankles, with American made, New Balance sneakers."
Steamer Al

Re: Copper boiler build on Youtube

Post by Steamer Al »

Beautiful work! Boy that must steam beautifully.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

staybolts are copper
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
FKreider

Post by FKreider »

There is also a very excellent series of building a LBSC designed "Lion" locomotive which includes a complete copper boiler build.

Nigel is now on part 58 of the series and the whole thing is well worth watching, I have been following the progress for about a year now.

https://youtu.be/tdBjm5D6jxY
-Frank K.
Mike Walsh

Post by Mike Walsh »

FKreider wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:03 pm There is also a very excellent series of building a LBSC designed "Lion" locomotive which includes a complete copper boiler build.

Nigel is now on part 58 of the series and the whole thing is well worth watching, I have been following the progress for about a year now.

https://youtu.be/tdBjm5D6jxY
Just the other night I was thinking to myself "Man, I am kind of bored with the internet - there is a lack of build threads, postings of projects, etc. that hold my attention," and then this pops up!

I have seen portions of the lion series, and completely forgot about that series. The 9F is a new one to me. I'll have to bookmark these and visit them on a regular basis to keep an eye out for updates.
hoppercar

Post by hoppercar »

I would rather build two steel boilers than a copper one
gwrdriver

Post by gwrdriver »

Interesting as they are, I was a little disappointed the video contained only static photos and not video of active construction, although I'll admit it would take as long to shoot and view those scenes as it took to do that phase of the construction.

The BR standard boilers always made me shudder as there was hardly a straight, parallel, or perpendicular surface in any of them and the job of erecting all those components and ending up in the exact alignment would be a formidable one, not to mention getting the plate forming right. But for someone somewhere, as evidenced by the video, I'm sure it's a piece o' cake.

As for stays, my choices would typically be cooper (usually rivets) for the short firebox water leg stays and Phos bronze for long stays. Perhaps he (or she) used what was on hand or locally available.
GWRdriver
Nashville TN
skyloop440

Post by skyloop440 »

I just picked up a piece of copper pipe 6" diameter 1/8" wall 40" long 50 bucks do you think i got a good deal !!!

Matt
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

yes...going rate in the UK is about $100 / foot + shipping
dakine

Re: Copper tube boiler build

Post by dakine »

I have a question- I am considering making a boiler (CliShay) a using a 8" steel shell with 1/2" copper tubes. There is two general types of tubing expanders, a roller type and a manual hand hydraulic expander. The roller type is very expensive, the manual hand type is around $100 on Amazon. My question - has any one used the hand hydraulic manual expander with good results? Thanks , John
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

rolling is the best way to go.

in the overall $$$ of the boiler, the roller is a very inexpensive tool.
Marty_Knox

Re: Copper tube boiler build

Post by Marty_Knox »

dakine wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:31 am I have a question- I am considering making a boiler (CliShay) a using a 8" steel shell with 1/2" copper tubes. There is two general types of tubing expanders, a roller type and a manual hand hydraulic expander. The roller type is very expensive, the manual hand type is around $100 on Amazon. My question - has any one used the hand hydraulic manual expander with good results? Thanks , John
I'm not familiar with the manual hand hydraulic expander. Can you post a picture or a link?