Upside down images

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Harold_V

Upside down images

Post by Harold_V »

Readers,
The issue of pictures posting in wrong orientation is being investigated by the owner of the board. It's not clear at this point if there is a solution, but he wants everyone to know that the problem is not being ignored. Please be patient while he attempts to resolve the issue.

Thanks!

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Mike Walsh

Re: Upside down images

Post by Mike Walsh »

Any chance an update was made from Australia? <big grin>
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Thank you, Harold.
Some progress has been made, as my posted photos are now correctly oriented.
Who knows if this has caused other problems.
Software! PHTTFFFFTT!!!

Efforts are truly appreciated.
RussN
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

FYI, I posted a photo directly from my iPhone that appeared upside down. Then latter the next day, re posted the same photo from my iPad, after the photos had been synchronized and uploaded to the iPad. The second photo appeared right side up- suggesting the i phone software somehow changed the orientation, or the iPad OS corrected it...

Here is a test: iPhone upload
9E3455E9-6D47-4869-973F-6F702C851A1D.jpeg
Photo orientation is still upside down.

Same photo after being synchronized with image catalog on iPad:
1EA1D275-EDCB-4B08-9BB2-B8B1248C3F48.jpeg
And a third test: different photo, taken in series with same iPhone.
1E583A27-6866-4D54-AB36-0D18796583BB.jpeg
Iam guessing the orientation and direction of the iPhone camera is not properly coded in the iPhone software.

Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

Just as toilets are lousy drinking fountains, phones are lousy cameras. :D
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

A little discussion behind the scenes has provided some direction. First, it appears that the problem originates with Apple phones. If that is not the case, would those who have experienced images posting improperly please make mention of the type of phone involved?

Marty has suggest the following:
I would ask the users to test how their pictures upload to the forum in both horizontal and vertical mode.
I believe all phones should try horizontal/landscape mode.

Readers may have to be a part of the solution, in other words. Post a series of images to determine how they are displayed. Pick a forum that is convenient for you, and label the post accordingly. Once they have been posted so you can make the required determination in regards to orientation, I will be able to delete them. If they are of value to the readers, they can remain. Please note accordingly.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
RussellCofIdaho

Post by RussellCofIdaho »

I believe iPhones and many other devices sense the position of the device and set this as the correct orientation when the photo is taken.

Changes made subsequently are stored in a separate file in order to not re-edit and cause quality loss to the original photo.

Generally iDevices automatically set these in any photo shared so they display the correct way, but communication between devices is like communication between a male and a female; what is said isn’t always what is meant and what is unsaid may be detrimental to the original conversation!
Russell Courtenay
Idaho - USA
unknownidaho.wordpress.com
Big trains and big dreams...
LVRR2095

Post by LVRR2095 »

I have found that when taking a photo with my iPhone in landscape mode....the “home button” must be on the right. When the home button is to the left...the photos post inverted.

Keith
NP317

Post by NP317 »

LVRR2095 wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:46 pm I have found that when taking a photo with my iPhone in landscape mode....the “home button” must be on the right. When the home button is to the left...the photos post inverted.

Keith
Apple should provide a selection is SETUP for left-handed users...
RussN
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

BigDumbDinosaur wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:02 pm Just as toilets are lousy drinking fountains, phones are lousy cameras. :D
Sadly, the market disagrees! The Smartphone camera is killing the camera makers.
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

neanderman wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:16 pm
BigDumbDinosaur wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:02 pmJust as toilets are lousy drinking fountains, phones are lousy cameras. :D
Sadly, the market disagrees! The Smartphone camera is killing the camera makers.
That doesn't mean a smart phone is a good camera. It merely means the "market" (consumers who post drivel on Fakebook and Krapchat) is satisfied with mediocrity when it comes to photography. My Fuji camera (which has, among other features, optical zoom, not digital) takes far better pictures than any smart phone—and the pics always come out right side up. :D
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
Jim Clark

Post by Jim Clark »

Good afternoon all,

I am posting from a Windows 10 desktop computer and some of my photos are right side up as well as upside down. I have tried changing orientation in the Microsoft photo program that comes with Windows 10 and it does not seem to make any difference at all.

Just figured I would share this. Don't know if it will help or not outside of the fact that I am not uploading from a phone or equivalent devise.

Have a great day.

Jim