1” pacific boiler

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

jscarmozza

Re: 1” pacific boiler

Post by jscarmozza »

Bill, I think I started this discussion with you when I bought my first engine. It's too bad because the engine ran so well on coal. There's no fixing a sil-fos boiler, so I'll stick with my original plan and try not to damage it in the first place. Was sil-fos used throughout the LE boilers or just in certain locations around the cast components? My boilers all have cast components, but so far so good with those; you would think that LE would have known better, but that's why bridges fail and planes crash, you learn as you go. Thanks for bringing me back from my coal induced euphoria guys.
John
P.s. Dick Morris, I've also had trouble finding the correct sodium silicate solution for making casting cores, I went back to baking oil cores.
LVRR2095

Post by LVRR2095 »

John, do you know absolutely that Sil-Fos was used on your boiler?

Keith
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Pictures sure look like it to me
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
LVRR2095

Post by LVRR2095 »

Bill Shields wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:38 am Pictures sure look like it to me
The pictures show the original poster’s boiler….not John’s.

Keith
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

ah...well.....somewhere & somewhen -> John and I discussed his boiler with pictures....
jscarmozza

Post by jscarmozza »

Hi Keith, when I first bought the engine I sent Bill pictures of the boiler, he and the consensus at NJLS is that it's a sil-fos boiler.
John
gwrdriver

Post by gwrdriver »

One way to tell is that Sil-phos (or phos-copper) will "build up" or fillet in a way that properly done silver solder won't. If you see built-up or generously filleted areas, something that looks more like a weld bead than a thin deposit, that's a sure sign.
GWRdriver
Nashville TN
Wayne Davis

Post by Wayne Davis »

I made the mistake of using sil-fos on my first boiler, a 1" scale 040. I did not know not to fire it with coal at the time. That was 32 years ago of heavy use and it is still steaming. I did do the water glass treatment once years ago.

Wayne
jmpharrington

Post by jmpharrington »

Wayne Davis wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:18 pm I made the mistake of using sil-fos on my first boiler, a 1" scale 040. I did not know not to fire it with coal at the time. That was 32 years ago of heavy use and it is still steaming. I did do the water glass treatment once years ago.

Wayne
Wayne,
If I understand correctly, you have been firing this on coal for 32 years without issue?
What type of coal are you using?

I would assume low sulphur content coal would be less impactful.

-Jimmy
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

I have seen boilers soldered with this stuff last for decades..and seen them turn into lawn sprinklers in less than 5 years.

It is like smoking cigarettes and lung cancer..
FKreider

Post by FKreider »

Bill Shields wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 6:55 pm I have seen boilers soldered with this stuff last for decades..and seen them turn into lawn sprinklers in less than 5 years.

It is like smoking cigarettes and lung cancer..
Sounds to me that they should be ran until the wheels fall off and when that happens build a new boiler. :D 8)

We need more people building copper boilers in this hobby anyways otherwise its going to become a lost art (if it isn't practically already.)
-Frank K.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

There is basis for that argument.

I have several boilers in my possession that have sil phos joints in non coal exposed areas..external bushings, steam domes, etc...which will probably outlive me...but I do not recommend using for construction.

However some clubs (and entire countries) will not allow sil phos boilers to pass inspection...even if they pass a hydro.