Nelsons Locomotive Works

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

SCBryan

Nelsons Locomotive Works

Post by SCBryan »

I've noticed that sometime within this past week, the web site for Nelsons Locomotive Works has gone down. Has anyone else experienced this also? It would be a shame if this has disappeared permanently.

Steve
Sandiapaul

Re: Nelsons Locomotive Works

Post by Sandiapaul »

Boy I hope not...lots of good info there
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

It looks as though http://www.nelsonslocomotive.com has disappeared from DNS. The domain is still registered, but the WHOIS info came up empty.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

I sent him an email.

Steve
rmac

Post by rmac »

If all else fails, there's always the Wayback Machine for looking at archived websites:

https://web.archive.org/web/20170419115 ... /index.htm

-- Russell Mac
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

Thanks, Russell, for putting that up. As many of us know, the web can be an ephemeral place, and it's always wise to save something when you find it. There are ways to download and save an entire website, as well as ways to make PDFs from web pages. I haven't tried any of the whole-site download methods and would appreciate comments from any of you who have.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
Sandiapaul

Post by Sandiapaul »

Does anyone know if he is OK?
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Email was returned as undeliverable.

Steve
shayloco

Post by shayloco »

Just got an email from Nelson. He says the site is down for now and may be resurrected in the future.

-Larry
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

As many of us know, the web can be an ephemeral place, and it's always wise to save something when you find it
I've played around with saving pages, using WGET or just save page as, but I think the Internet Archive (Wayback machine) is one of the better ways. I use this as an add-on on Firefox, which makes it relatively simple to save a page or group of pages. You need to be a bit careful and tell it not to track the pages you visit (use a private window) and check your settings.

For Nelson's website, there is a lot of stuff stored there and even though I didn't save any of these, someone did and now it's readable by all of us, as opposed to you or me saving to our local drives.
Wayback for NelsonLW.PNG
There are a lot of pages for Chaski as well, but it's hard to see what each page is:
Wayback for random link1.PNG
Clicking one of these brings up this picture:
Wayback for random link2.PNG

More fun.
SteveR
12x36 Enco Lathe, 9x42 Bridgeport, SMAW, O/A, Miller MIG w/gas, plasma
Not enough measuring tools...
1.5" Allen Models Consolidation on air.
1" FEF in progress
1" & 3/4" LE Projects
I'm thankful that metal is recyclable....
bigboybuilder

Post by bigboybuilder »

I was working on and getting very close to completing a set of drawings to 3D print his cross compound air compressor in metal. i found the archive but no drawings or pic's were saved, anyone have these?
bigboybuilder

Post by bigboybuilder »

MAN!!, I panicked because I have all the 3D drawings finished except for the valve end of the steam side and have even printed them in plastic (PLA). I told a friend "not saving the web pages would have been so unlike me" I found them all with the photos and drawings, ... thank the lord for making me so anal-retentive LOL If you have a choice never take a break from a project... especially not 11 years and 3 hard drives ago also backups of hard drives are a great thing to have too. Leon Image