Air compressor and propane tank

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

wbarbe

Air compressor and propane tank

Post by wbarbe »

I’m thinking of building a box car to hold a propane tank (with a mesh floor for venting). I wanted to install a small air compressor and tank for air brakes and wondered if I separated the two compartments in the car and made sure the part with the air compressor portion was sealed off from the propane tank would it be safe to have an electric device on the same car?
Has anyone done this?
Thanks
ChuckHackett-844

Re: Air compressor and propane tank

Post by ChuckHackett-844 »

I have two horizontal 30-pound tanks in my fuel boxcar. They are mounted at each end of the car with the floor totally open under them. I installed two 16-ga steel bulkheads (had mtl on hand) and a wood floor in-between the two tanks to hold the battery and compressor (air tank is in my tender).
Regards,

Chuck Hackett, UP Northern 844, Mich-Cal Shay #2
Owner, MiniRail Solutions, LLC, RR Signal Systems (http://www.MiniRailSolutions.com)
"By the work, One knows the workman"
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

wbarbe wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 9:45 am I’m thinking of building a box car to hold a propane tank (with a mesh floor for venting). I wanted to install a small air compressor and tank for air brakes and wondered if I separated the two compartments in the car and made sure the part with the air compressor portion was sealed off from the propane tank would it be safe to have an electric device on the same car?
Has anyone done this?
Thanks

You should be okay in the event of a minor leak.

That said, there should never be any leaks in any fuel gas system. The manufacturers of propane handling components go to considerable lengths to make their products leak-proof, which implies that any leaks that occur will be due to how the system was assembled. Before you even fire up your loco for the first time, thoroughly leak-test all connections (Windex works well for that purpose). Needless to say, only use hose and fittings rated for use with propane. Rubber fuel hose like that sold at the hardware store or auto parts store may not be compatible and make break down from prolonged exposure to propane. Once that has happened, the hose may suddenly break apart, causing a not-so-minor leak.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

BigDumbDinosaur wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 1:39 pm
wbarbe wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 9:45 am I’m thinking of building a box car to hold a propane tank (with a mesh floor for venting). I wanted to install a small air compressor and tank for air brakes and wondered if I separated the two compartments in the car and made sure the part with the air compressor portion was sealed off from the propane tank would it be safe to have an electric device on the same car?
Has anyone done this?
Thanks

You should be okay in the event of a minor leak.

That said, there should never be any leaks in any fuel gas system. The manufacturers of propane handling components go to considerable lengths to make their products leak-proof, which implies that any leaks that occur will be due to how the system was assembled. Before you even fire up your loco for the first time, thoroughly leak-test all connections (Windex works well for that purpose). Needless to say, only use hose and fittings rated for use with propane. Rubber fuel hose like that sold at the hardware store or auto parts store may not be compatible and make break down from prolonged exposure to propane. Once that has happened, the hose may suddenly break apart, causing a not-so-minor leak.
amen....
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Berkman

Post by Berkman »

How long will those 2 tanks last on the 844 Chuck? Are you always feeding from both, or switch between them?

Thanks!
ChuckHackett-844

Post by ChuckHackett-844 »

Berkman wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 2:42 pm How long will those 2 tanks last on the 844 Chuck? Are you always feeding from both, or switch between them?

Thanks!
I always pull from both. in typical running (like steady at Train Mountain) I burn about 9 pounds per hour so the two tanks last about 6 1/2 hours.
Regards,

Chuck Hackett, UP Northern 844, Mich-Cal Shay #2
Owner, MiniRail Solutions, LLC, RR Signal Systems (http://www.MiniRailSolutions.com)
"By the work, One knows the workman"